Bought a VFR 1200 DCT today

• Member Contributer

I just could not resist so bought it today ,I'm keeping my 96 as well.

I don't know much about the 1200 so would much appreciate any advice

from the experts here, its all stock so I'm going to need to get a pipe

and prob a bunch of other stuff, but I'm excited about it anyway!

• Member Contributer

Have to go to DC to pick it up so that's going to take a bit but will take many pics when it is here.

• Member Contributer

Thank you I hope I love it as much as your wife does but having a bike with an auto is going to take some getting used to

for sure.

I regretted selling my '98 VFR for many years.  I was pleased with the more comfortable sport touring and ADV bikes I replaced my '98 with but I really missed the V4 motor.  The high price, limited fuel range, possibly questionable styling, expensive OEM options, limited aftermarket support, and no improvement in ergonomics of the 1200 had me sit on the sidelines shaking my head at Honda for a few years.  Last year I got a deal on a '12 I could not resist and grabbed it on a whim.  Simply put, the bike is the best VFR yet and why they went back to the underpowered by todays standards 800 motor instead of incrementally improving the 1200 is beyond me.  The 1200 did not hit a bulls eye but that motor is an absolute beast.  Put on a proper pipe and that sound will make you grin even wider.

I don't think the market is there for this type of bike in general and certainly not at the price Honda hoped to sell them for.  At the price Honda wanted you can get more comfortable sport touring bikes with cruise control or an ADV bike with similar or better performance.  However, at the right price for these 1200's are amazing machines and the only thing I'd take back from the earlier VFR's is the fuel range.

Hope your experience is as regret free as mine has been.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, 1996 Beeper said:

Thank you...having a bike with an auto is going to take some getting used to

for sure.

Congrats!  I think you'll be pretty satisfied with the DCT, it has been a paradigm change for me and what I bought mine for.  Please search the archives as there are some great topics on Gen 7 mod's, maintenance, and the DCT model.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2016 at 4:46 PM, 1996 Beeper said:

I just could not resist so bought it today ,I'm keeping my 96 as well.

I don't know much about the 1200 so would much appreciate any advice

from the experts here, its all stock so I'm going to need to get a pipe

and prob a bunch of other stuff, but I'm excited about it anyway!

Ride it for a while before dumping a bunch of $ into it. I just got my 2010 version a couple weeks ago, with <3000 miles... I've been reading these posts about engine firmware updates with interest, but thus far all I've done is add the OEM windscreen deflector, because I'm 6'4"(which I just added earlier today, so I don't know what it does or doesn't do yet). I'm still undecided as to whether I need the mods that Don's firmware provides... I'm a pretty slow/cautious rider so I'm not sure I'd reap the bennies.

Driveline recall should be your first check, especially if the linkage sounds clunky/loose at parking lot speeds. (Supposedly, the replacement is Not the final fix)

The biggest infraction you may experience within the first few hundred miles of semi-auto shifting is cancelling the non-blinking blinkers a few times or sounding the horn in your attempt to downshift. No worries muscle memory will kick in in short order.

The Full Auto or Sport Auto is strickly a Slab feature to maximize fuel mileage, otherwise boring...

I've only ridden with the Re-Flashed ECU (happy with it) so can't speak to what was removed.

Like all VFR's once you feel like you've reached your performance riding plateau, look to investing in the suspension. It will transform the ride.

Accept your speeding tickets with grace.

Cheers on your new ride!:wheel:

• Member Contributer

Drive line recall is done and all set im pretty sure I will need the re-flash and an exhaust

I just love the sound of the v4 on my 96 now with the Two Brothers, im picking it up 7/29

and very much looking forward to putting some miles on it as soon as I can. I want that

tinted wind screen if anyone knows who sells it as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

B

• Member Contributer

Archived