Did my post purchase maintenance. :-(

I completed my first set of maintenance post purchase of my '07.   I changed the oil, brake and clutch fluid and also took off the wheels to get new tires affixed. None of those made the previous owner look good.  Take a look at the pictures. 

The drain plug washer was so crushed that I had to use pliers to hold it still while I unscrewed the bolt from it.  They used RTV to seal it. 

20160701_123911.jpg

20160701_123918.jpg

The brake fluid looked like it probably had never been changed.  This came out of the pcv. 

20160630_221100.jpg

Those two non-matching lug nuts?  Not the correct taper.  Good thing I ordered some already.  They should be here tomorrow. 

20160701_123939.jpg

So not the best start.  I'll get it straightened out.  Plugs and air filter are next. 

• Member Contributer

Yep. not great, but the only thing that bothers me there are the mismatched wheel nuts.  What the hell was the PO thinking?  Be interesting to see what else you find.  You probably wouldn't be happy with my '07 had you purchased her (not going to happen for anyone in the foreseeable future).  She's no garage queen, been crashed, tracked, dragged, done everything for me but go off-road ... and I love her for it.

ACE

I got new wheel nuts for her so she's good to go! I'm not overly concerned about the looks right now.  Mine has been on it's side at least once by the look of the left fairing.  I just want to make sure she is as trouble free as possible.  

20160702_135810.jpg

20160702_135324.jpg

20160702_135256.jpg

It's a rare used bike that doesn't need some basic maintenance and general straightening out.   My '07  needs a fork oil change and brake fluid change now that you mention it..........gotta make it happen before things get to nasty!!!!

• Member Contributer

With the new lug nuts being shorter, it might be worthwhile taking some measurements to be sure the crown of the nut is not bottoming on the end of the stud before the base seats adequately against the wheel.   

Damn that is not good, I bought an 02 a month ago and all Ive needed to do was new fluids all around, still gotta bleed brakes/clutch and do pads. I may even do the clutch stuff to just coz it is a 14 year old bike, but everything else has been fantastic, even rode it home from Sydney to Melbourne when I bought it.

23 hours ago, Cogswell said:

With the new lug nuts being shorter, it might be worthwhile taking some measurements to be sure the crown of the nut is not bottoming on the end of the stud before the base seats adequately against the wheel.   

If you look at this pic you can see the stuff barely goes above the top of the open nuts.  The new ones while shorter than the old ones are still quite a bit longer than the open nut. 

20160627_060624.jpg

20160701_123939.jpg

20160702_135324.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I was looking for the thread where you had the lug nuts for sale Donovan, but I guess that went away, classified section perhaps?

Anyway, got both sets put on today. Thanks!

'01 Before:

IMG_2667_zpso5nxexmm.jpg

'01 After:

IMG_2669_zpszelbnqgl.jpg

'09 Before:

IMG_2672_zpsl55amfct.jpg

'09 After:

IMG_2674_zpsuzxfprs0.jpg

Archived