Sexy new Italian V-4 in da house and her name is Tuono

A new 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR followed me home this past weekend..... compliments the 1999 Viffer nicely in the garage..... 

She's a technological marvel ABS, traction control, launch control, wheelie control, slipper clutch, quick shifter etc...

IMG_20160604_101741_zpssgg6cxbr.jpg

20160604_195605_zps9za5px0o.jpg

• Member Contributer

do give us a ride report soon.

I was lucky enough to spend some time in the saddle of various non-VFRs at TexasMac and am interested in your take on how the bike feels. 

I say how the bike feels because it obviously looks awesome!

Oo so sweet. Envious here,  congrats!  That's a cool one for sure.  I had every intention of getting one of these V4 beauties,  but no,  luck had it a certain 5th gen landed in my lap that was  just to hard to turn down.  But I was about to pull the trigger. Though I have to say for the thousands saved, be hard to do better now that I have it all set up for me.  Still those Apes are something to behold. I'd have one if it was in the cards to do.   How does it ride?  Well the one I rode was like a vfr on steroids.  Honda should build one of these with a SSSA.  Damn that's Nice.    

Let me start by saying I love my 5th Gen as it does everything very well. It has smooth V4 power with a pleasant gear driven cam whine that adds to the bike's soul... but you guys already know all that.... A little background on my bike history.... started w/ 72 KE100, 89 FZR600, 4th Gen VFR, CBR1100xx, Yamaha R1, and still own CRF250L & 5th Gen VFR and honda 2 stroke dirt bikes and sports quads etc... been riding 36+ years starting at about 12....

In comparison to the VFR, the Tuono is more of everything, lots lots more. Upright riding position and very smooth at low rpm with the distinctive V4 growl.. The VFR is plenty quick. By comparison the Aprilia has explosive power from 6k rpm on up till 13k. Shifting WOT is exhilarating to say the least. In track mode she's insanely fast off throttle, yes you need wheelie control, think Gentleman's MotoGP bike... One of the few complaints heard about the Tuono is the dated dash... obviously they haven't seen the VFR's green dials lol.... however no gas gauge WTF? We get an idiot light, trip meter etc. It does have a gear indicator though. 

We did a 2 up pizza run and it wasn't that bad comfort wise keeping power at ~15%. When I hit the john wifey said the guys ran out to gaze at it. She attracts lots of attention. The seat is also very good, no need for a Sargeant upgrade but I did feel her holding on much tighter than with the viffer.       

I immediately felt at home on the Ape at least at low rpm where she's easy and pleasant to ride just like the VFR. At higher rpm, in any gear, tuck and hold on to the bars! The Bosch ABS/Brembos are worlds better than anything I've ever used....  For those that are interested this guy did a wonderful write up on the factory version of the bike (Ohlins & flashy paint job)

http://www.kanononcars.com/blog/2016...guys-superbike  

1464502595437-1836352745_zpspnts9wos.jpg

Now that's, if there is beautiful in a read,  that was.   Thanks for sharing you've really built a fire for me to get to the dealer now.   Thanks :)

Wanna traded 2 for 1? An '03 and an '07?

You'll still have 4 cylinders, but 2 bikes. :goofy:

I didn't think so, you make me sad. Pretty sure you are glad.  :beer:

Enjoy! Don't be getting a ticket the first month. :tongue:

• Member Contributer
On 6/8/2016 at 10:09 AM, MarantzManiac said:

Let me start by saying I love my 5th Gen as it does everything very well. It has smooth V4 power with a pleasant gear driven cam whine that adds to the bike's soul... but you guys already know all that.... A little background on my bike history.... started w/ 72 KE100, 89 FZR600, 4th Gen VFR, CBR1100xx, Yamaha R1, and still own CRF250L & 5th Gen VFR and honda 2 stroke dirt bikes and sports quads etc... been riding 36+ years starting at about 12....

In comparison to the VFR, the Tuono is more of everything, lots lots more. Upright riding position and very smooth at low rpm with the distinctive V4 growl.. The VFR is plenty quick. By comparison the Aprilia has explosive power from 6k rpm on up till 13k. Shifting WOT is exhilarating to say the least. In track mode she's insanely fast off throttle, yes you need wheelie control, think Gentleman's MotoGP bike... One of the few complaints heard about the Tuono is the dated dash... obviously they haven't seen the VFR's green dials lol.... however no gas gauge WTF? We get an idiot light, trip meter etc. It does have a gear indicator though. 

We did a 2 up pizza run and it wasn't that bad comfort wise keeping power at ~15%. When I hit the john wifey said the guys ran out to gaze at it. She attracts lots of attention. The seat is also very good, no need for a Sargeant upgrade but I did feel her holding on much tighter than with the viffer.       

I immediately felt at home on the Ape at least at low rpm where she's easy and pleasant to ride just like the VFR. At higher rpm, in any gear, tuck and hold on to the bars! The Bosch ABS/Brembos are worlds better than anything I've ever used....  For those that are interested this guy did a wonderful write up on the factory version of the bike (Ohlins & flashy paint job)

http://www.kanononcars.com/blog/2016...guys-superbike  

1464502595437-1836352745_zpspnts9wos.jpg

The link to the review and your feedback may have narrowed the field for my next ride.  I think this bikes compares very well to the Triumph that opened my eyes at TexasMac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

To quote Kyle from SouthPark,"You Bastard!"  You just talked me into a bike purchase that will test my marriages. Yes the VFR and the mother of my children too. Gawd that bike is gorgeous and technologically advanced. 

I had an 07 Tuono for a short time I had to sell because cops kept wanting to take a closer look and award me for speeding. I swear it would just throttle up on her own it seemed like. 

Congrats on the new Italian. My friend just test rode one and I am pretty sure he will be showing up on one at our next ride.

• Member Contributer

Been eyeing a Tuono Factory 1100 since they came out.  A co worker of mine has an older Tuono V4 and loves it, and another friend just bought a '14 RSV4 Factory.  These bikes from Aprilia are the MISSED OPPORTUNITY from Honda!  I keep going back and forth on whether to get a Tuono or RSV, but I remember how much I enjoyed riding my Speed Triple 1050 on the street over my Daytona 675 (now track only) and therefore lean towards the Tuono.  The Speed 3 held its own on the track quite well also, and I have to admit that it was always entertaining to scrap with the 600s/ 1000s / ZX14s- fighting back in the corners after being passed on the straights.

• Member Contributer

Pretty gorgeous looking garage as well!  That's what I REALLY need, a bigger garage!

6 minutes ago, deltaboxii said:

Pretty gorgeous looking garage as well!  That's what I REALLY need, a bigger garage!

thank you... it's our Country bar....man cave... toy box.... workshop... you name it :-)

20160318_214235_zpso1ughyhs.jpg

• Member Contributer

Stop man your killing me!  Between the Tuono (and other bikes) and the garage, I can only pretend to not be jealous for so long.

On 7/10/2016 at 9:19 AM, MarantzManiac said:

For me it was love at first site.... just like I felt about the VFR.... 

20160618_181554_zpskinjijkh.jpg

What really gets me going is.. the Tuono also comes in white, which is just saying,  take me way..  just look at that woulds ya,  So Nice.     BTW  nice digs you have there.

• Member Contributer

JOB OPPORTUNITY

dogbowl.png

I've been looking over this thread and it seems obvious to me that the only thing MarantzManiac is lacking at this point is a Kato Kaelin type to sleep in his guest house, ride his motorcycles, help with inventory turnover inside his country bar, and, judging by that bowl, feed his dog occasionally.

Let me be the first to offer my services. 

Soon you'll be hearing from other guys who think they can Kato better than I can, but let me assure you that nobody is better at this than I am. Well, except maybe Kato Kaelin.

Will ride Italian motorcycles for beer. Some previous dog-walking experience. References available upon request.

3 hours ago, RobF said:

Will ride Italian motorcycles for beer.

If you would ride Italian motorcycles for high priced Vino, you might have a chance.

C'mon, beer? :beer::tongue:

32 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

If you would ride Italian motorcycles for high priced Vino, you might have a chance.

C'mon, beer? :beer::tongue:

That was my first thought too however it's a Country bar lit up with neon beer signs! 

3 hours ago, RobF said:

JOB OPPORTUNITY

dogbowl.png

I've been looking over this thread and it seems obvious to me that the only thing MarantzManiac is lacking at this point is a Kato Kaelin type to sleep in his guest house, ride his motorcycles, help with inventory turnover inside his country bar, and, judging by that bowl, feed his dog occasionally.

Let me be the first to offer my services. 

Soon you'll be hearing from other guys who think they can Kato better than I can, but let me assure you that nobody is better at this than I am. Well, except maybe Kato Kaelin.

Will ride Italian motorcycles for beer. Some previous dog-walking experience. References available upon request.

That's quite the flattering offer... however Kato was used by prosecution as a witness.... being Italian you know how we feel about any witnesses! lol

hqdefault_zpsxaoduft3.jpg

on the other hand if you're a 5 star gourmet chef or master mechanic..... then we can talk over bread & pasta! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived