Went to another dyno shootout today to see other bikes.

SHvar

I decided to give my 2014 VFR800FD another try (tested last year at this event) on the same dyno on a very humid day after hanging out a bit today. The result was 101.49 hp and 55.31 ft/lbs of torque to the pavement with an OEM bike (OEM paper air filter that I checked and reinstalled this spring that was very clean after 2 years, 87 octane pump gas, and I havent done an oil change this year because its not due to change the 10w40 Amsoil yet) aside from a Delkevic slip on. In the last year it seemed to me that the VTEC transition got even more smooth than it was during the first year or so, this dyno reading shows what I suspected (look at how smooth that transition is). At the bottom it also shows the air/fuel reading, from what I saw looking at the other results aside from 2 of the many bikes that had reflashed ECUs and power commanders/etc being used, my bike had one of the better air fuel ratios (except for a short time during and after the VTEC transition where it appeared a bit more lean than the rest of the test). There were alot of interesting bikes there today with power readings anywhere from 11 hp to 184 hp, several categories from super motos, Vtwin cruisers, 50cc-580cc, 580cc-650cc, a very modified chopper, 651cc-850cc, 851cc-1050cc, 1051cc-1500cc, vtwin 0cc-750cc, vtwin 751cc and above.There were alot of OEM, and modified bikes, with some very modified bikes. I like this event because alot of people travel to bring their bikes to this event for some reason every year. Video to follow.

13312880_10205147430120235_8597099497426274990_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice clean run, looks good.

Lean is not bad, people just have the wrong idea that rich makes more power. Lean often makes more power but the engine can't stand the heat it produces, rich uses the excess fuel as a coolant, so the engine can withstand the heat.

A fuelling module might add a couple of HP so may not be worth it, unless you use the full throttle range !

What mpg do you get ?

• Member Contributer

Confirms that past 10K rpm, the engine is just spinning.   

Im not exactly sure on the fuel consumption, if you stay below VTEC most of the time it gets amazing fuel economy. Actually above 10k the HP levels off, but only starts to drop a tiny amount (1 HP) at 11k, but still pulls past redline easily with the slip on (only drops 3 HP). Id be interested in seeing more dyno readings from other gen 8 bikes to see how smooth their transitions are (both OEM and modified), and how close their air fuel readings are. The engine pulls harder and is more smooth after 2 years definitely than it was during and at the end of the first year, especially at higher rpms with that OEM muffler. Here was the bike that got the highest HP reading yesterday, it was recorded from inside. A 2016 BMW S1000RR with full exhaust set to slick mode. I also have a video of a modified 2005 RVT1000 and the super moto that won its class I think.

I just spent a crapton on repairs for my truck, so it's pushed back a bit, but a Power Commander is coming in a month or two as this dip is eating away at my soul. It's very noticeable. Even just gently accelerating in top gear, it feels like something just broke until I realize VTEC just kicked in, yo. This was just a dyno day, nothing hooked to the bike, so just speed vs power on the graph.5b7d3d2b23c4bf1be9f27e83fef71a07.jpg

This was last years readout, notice x0RVXF9GUT9kNx2C2fZfiwKy8S0taL_d6mjFzCiK how much more noticeable the VTEC engagement is, still nowhere near as noticeable as that transition shared by jhenley17. 

16 hours ago, SHvar said:

I decided to give my 2014 VFR800FD another try (tested last year at this event) on the same dyno on a very humid day after hanging out a bit today. The result was 101.49 hp and 55.31 ft/lbs of torque to the pavement with an OEM bike (OEM paper air filter that I checked and reinstalled this spring that was very clean after 2 years, 87 octane pump gas, and I havent done an oil change this year because its not due to change the 10w40 Amsoil yet) aside from a Delkevic slip on. In the last year it seemed to me that the VTEC transition got even more smooth than it was during the first year or so, this dyno reading shows what I suspected (look at how smooth that transition is). At the bottom it also shows the air/fuel reading, from what I saw looking at the other results aside from 2 of the many bikes that had reflashed ECUs and power commanders/etc being used, my bike had one of the better air fuel ratios (except for a short time during and after the VTEC transition where it appeared a bit more lean than the rest of the test). There were alot of interesting bikes there today with power readings anywhere from 11 hp to 184 hp, several categories from super motos, Vtwin cruisers, 50cc-580cc, 580cc-650cc, a very modified chopper, 651cc-850cc, 851cc-1050cc, 1051cc-1500cc, vtwin 0cc-750cc, vtwin 751cc and above.There were alot of OEM, and modified bikes, with some very modified bikes. I like this event because alot of people travel to bring their bikes to this event for some reason every year. Video to follow.

13312880_10205147430120235_8597099497426274990_n.jpg

This is actually a very nice graph and numbers. A very tiny dip at the 4 valve transition and also great a the top. I was thinking it would drop off more significantly past 11,000 rpm. I wonder if that is an improvement of a delkevic exhaust?? I wish you had a stock Dyno run to compare it to.

It definitely pulls harder at the top end with the Delkevic slip on compared to the OEM muffler, before changing the muffler it acted like it ran out of steam earlier and struggled to rev up high. The smooth VTEC transition seems to have come with the engine getting worn in a bit more maybe. Last year with the same Delkevic slip on (as indicated in the horsepower reading only photo I posted from last June) the VTEC transition was more noticeable but still not as bad as some others, also on that day (last year) of the dyno shootout it was not as hot, and definitely much less humid than yesterday. I installed the Delky slip on within 3 months of getting the bike.

Here's my dyno run that was done back in January. Biggest takeaway was the throttle was alot smoother and the bike pulled much harder after transitioning to the 4 cylinders.

This was with a GPR slip-on and PCV...air filter stayed the same as the guy doing the dyno stated that the aftermarket filter led to less power than the stock; only mod was to remove the screen from the oem filter.

2015-12-27 10.25.02.jpg

Archived