Shock upgrade for two up weight

When me and my wife were dating we were young and light. My 99 VFR had no trouble. Now after a few years of happy marrage and a wee baby. I'm afraid we may be a bit much for my new 03's shock.

I'm wondering if theres an upgrade to fix this, besides us loosing the weight we're working on that. I'm 230lbs and shes 300lbs. Thank goodness she dosn't check forums or she'd kill me for that.

I would like to buy a second shock and change it out whenever we go on a longer ride, 2+ hour. 

I live my VFR and she has no problem with power two up but the ride feels awful.

• Member Contributer

Contact Jamie Daugherty Racing, he can advise you on the spring wight you'd need and if he can supply.

Good on ya for wanting to keep the VFR and not go for a Goldwing Trike.....:goofy:

(Note to Skuuter: you got one because you could, not because you and Mitzie HAD too..)

• Member Contributer

Your better off ditching your shock and getting something better.

If you're going to spend money on the standard shock, you might as well get something that is good, and has full adjustabillity.

DMR has a good option, or you could get a really good after market option built for you.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Either way, the bike will be miles better off with the right gear.

Seriously, you will not regret it.

• Member Contributer

Hi Frogger4thga.

Just for information the specified Maximum weight capacity for a 6th gen VFR is 195Kg or 430lbs. Be careful, you are exceeding its limits when two up.

• Member Contributer

With almost 30k on my '06 I decided to upgrade the shock and forks for a better two up ride also. I always heard great things about Jamie Daugherty (especially since we have the same last name) but decided to go with a local suspension shop owned by a friend of a friend. I like to support local business and friends when possible. Dropped the bike off at Evolution and he replaced the spring with an Ohlins adjustable and Race Tech front. Three days later, the SO and I took the bike down to Monterey from the Bay Area and the bike felt brand new! It certainly helped my distance without stopping and the fatigue was noticeably less since my body wasn't absorbing as much. It was a long overdue upgrade, particularly when two up.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Frogger4thga.

Just for information the specified Maximum weight capacity for a 6th gen VFR is 195Kg or 430lbs. Be careful, you are exceeding its limits when two up.

Good for 510lbs but the exhaust gets a bit near to the road if it is bumpy.

Archived