Go Pro Mounting

expvet

• Member Contributer

I am looking for some Go Pro mounting suggestions for a 6th gen. I want it more for safety and so am looking for forward viewing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am not looking for helmet or chest mounting but for mounting points on the bike itself.

• Member Contributer

Cycle Gear has a bar mount system that holds cell phones for $25. (Reg $50).

You unlock the cell holder and a go pro mount clicks into it's place.

No experience with this or the efficacy for forward recording but you could take a look at it on their website or in store and see if it meets your needs.

• Member Contributer

Go Pro has a kit you can buy thru Amazon that has  many different mounts provided,set at different angles / positions to fit various points on your skins,most held in place by high strength double back 3M tape. 

I went with what was posted in this thread and it works very well. The mount is solid, view is good, and the only thing blocked from view in my normal riding position (on my 8th gen) is the right signal indicator.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83331-Gopro-Helmet-Mounts?

• Member Contributer

I did this on both my 5 and 6 Gens....

DSCN1149_zps3smd2abn.jpg

DSCN1148_zpshr81csl5.jpg

DSCN1145_zpsbetbkigx.jpg

I also did this with my 6 Gen.

DSCN1146_zpsfonniy6s.jpg

DSCN1147_zpsilbnpj71.jpg

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I went with what was posted in this thread and it works very well. The mount is solid, view is good, and the only thing blocked from view in my normal riding position (on my 8th gen) is the right signal indicator.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/83331-Gopro-Helmet-Mounts?

I like the idea of the side mount option, but on a 6th gen that fairing mount is screwed only into the plastic body panel and so seems like eventually it would begin to crack.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, expvet said:

I like the idea of the side mount option, but on a 6th gen that fairing mount is screwed only into the plastic body panel and so seems like eventually it would begin to crack.

So far after many miles with this setup, I have experienced no issues.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

I did this on both my 5 and 6 Gens....

DSCN1149_zps3smd2abn.jpg

DSCN1148_zpshr81csl5.jpg

DSCN1145_zpsbetbkigx.jpg

I also did this with my 6 Gen.

DSCN1146_zpsfonniy6s.jpg

DSCN1147_zpsilbnpj71.jpg

So in the first pic with the black 6th gen VFR, what mount is that? Is it a Go Pro brand or 3rd party? It looks like a ball mount held by the fairing bolt, correct?

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, expvet said:

So in the first pic with the black 6th gen VFR, what mount is that? Is it a Go Pro brand or 3rd party? It looks like a ball mount held by the fairing bolt, correct?

Yes, it is a ram mount secured with a fairing bolt. I have since used a slightly different version of the ram mount ball mount. The one in the photos I actually have a  well nut that I cut off the part that has the threads and inserted it into the hole in the mount, where the larger part sits against the fairing. This was due to the hole being slightly larger than the bolt and also to help keep the mount from touching the fairing all the way.

• Member Contributer

So this is the new mount I am using but with a different bolt than what comes with the kit. I also put inside a small metal collar that fills in the difference of the bolt hole and the bolt.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U )
RAM-B-367U.jpg

This is the one in the photo... ( http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U )

RAM-B-272.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is a great site with great ideas. I like yours since it out of the way. I will receive my camera today and will see what mounts it comes with. I want to use the quick release clip since I need to be able to remove it when I park since our "friends" with sticky fingers are always lurking around.

10 hours ago, expvet said:

I am looking for some Go Pro mounting suggestions for a 6th gen. I want it more for safety and so am looking for forward viewing.

How does a Go Pro improve safety?

• Member Contributer

It won't prevent an accident but it will help me review near misses to see what I did not pick up on beforehand. This is often used on the track to review what could have been done better during certain situations. Equally important is as the witness to any unwarranted or overly aggressive police action. Today over 500 seized bikes were publicly destroyed by the NYPD (see below links and the negative view a lot of people have about bikers due to the actions of a few idiots, who I do not condone) and I would hate to have an over zealous officer decide that my going 10 miles over the speed limit is "reckless" and warranting confiscation without me having any evidence to contest it. Lastly, in the unfortunate event of an accident it is the indisputable proof of fault. The typical reaction to a car - bike collision is "Oh that motorcycle must have been going too fast".

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bratton-nypd-publicly-destroy-500-seized-motor-bikes-article-1.2620822

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/142340957-story

3 hours ago, expvet said:

Today over 500 seized bikes were publicly destroyed by the NYPD (see below links and the negative view a lot of people have about bikers due to the actions of a few idiots,

Ah, that carpetbagger, Bratten. :comp13:

8 hours ago, expvet said:

It won't prevent an accident but it will help me review near misses to see what I did not pick up on beforehand. This is often used on the track to review what could have been done better during certain situations. Equally important is as the witness to any unwarranted or overly aggressive police action. Today over 500 seized bikes were publicly destroyed by the NYPD (see below links and the negative view a lot of people have about bikers due to the actions of a few idiots, who I do not condone) and I would hate to have an over zealous officer decide that my going 10 miles over the speed limit is "reckless" and warranting confiscation without me having any evidence to contest it. Lastly, in the unfortunate event of an accident it is the indisputable proof of fault. The typical reaction to a car - bike collision is "Oh that motorcycle must have been going too fast".

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bratton-nypd-publicly-destroy-500-seized-motor-bikes-article-1.2620822

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/142340957-story

My god I thought it was bad 'round my way! The problem we have with cameras is #1 police can review all contents of the camera card if they have reasonable suspicion, then prosecute you for undetected offences.  #2 It is illegal to record the conversation of another without their consent, police or civilian. You must ask the copper that pulls you over if he consents to his conversation being recorded. If he says no, then it must be switched off. That cuts the other way too, but why ask the copper to switch his recorder off?  Anything before that question is just fine of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As an update, I discovered and ordered this new Gopro called the Session. It is much smaller, needs no waterproof case, shoots up to 1440HD and is a breeze to use (one button recording). And best of all, only $200.00 with a 32 GB card from Gopro. I am currently using it with a Gopro suction mount on the lower part of the windscreen and the footage is steady and has great 170 degree coverage. Since my main purpose was as a dashcam it totally fits the bill. The other Gopro was a bit bulky and I really would not use the extra capabilities all that much so not worth double the price.Link below

http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-102.html

Gopro session copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mount it on your helmet. No vibration, steady shot of where you are looking, looks over the windscreen which can be covered in rain, and when you walk away from the bike, no need to worry about theft.

Ta daaaa.

I rode home in a rain storm last Thursday. It looked like barely a drizzle from behind the windscreen when I reviewed the recording, while I struggled to see out of my helmet. The only time the view was hindered was when I slowed down enough that the rain wasn't blown over the camera and it got water in front of the lens.

Archived