Fitted An Automatic Chain Oiler

Pjcliffo

Managed to put a Tutoro automatic oiler under the pillion seat. Nice and neat and out of the way. It only feeds oil when the bike is moving. Nice simple mechanism and installation was easy.

The round black cap is the top of the oil bottle and there is a twin nozzle feed either side of the sprocket. No connection neede to electronics r vacuum. Has a tap to regulate flow and stops flow automatically when bike stops. Transferred it from my last bike so know it works well when adjusted correctly. You use trial and error to get it just right.

post-35019-0-82140700-1459399055.jpeg

post-35019-0-87412900-1459399087.jpeg

post-35019-0-69250400-1459399114.jpeg

post-35019-0-42046200-1459399147.jpeg

From your first picture it looks like the delivery head will be hit by the sprocket nut as it comes round, in which case it won't last very long or worse, break off and get jammed somewhere potentially serious. Please tell me I'm wrong...

I quickly realized exactly what you are saying and lowered the feed nozzle nearer to the bottom of the sprocket and at the outer edge. The pic was when I just finished the initial install. Good pick up.

Good. I only noticed because I've been considering getting an oiler myself (had a Scottoiler on my 5th and 6th gens) and had previously noticed when trying to figure out where to install the various bits that the 8th gen sprocket is different and only has that thin edge inside the teeth instead of the much wider flat surface on the older bikes. Something to do with the new swingarm maybe, or the 525 instead of 530 chain? Let us know how it works out, I'm still in the 'thinking about it' stage!

I've got a pro oiler on mine. Love it. Controller is mounted on the dash so I can dial it up in the rain. I don't not miss oiling the chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Tutoro is not electric and half the price.

Agreed but they are near enough the same price as a scottoiler v system.

Biggest difference is the tuturo needs to be mounted within 10 degrees of the vertical and the tub is about 100mm long the scottoiler can me mounted on almost horizontally

Really interested in fitting a scotoiller. Can't be arsed with a vacuum controlled one. Was looking at the electronic one, but loads of people I spoke to said they basically coat your bike with oil and it's not worth it. Really annoys me knowadays cleaning and oiling chains, so is a Scotoiller the answer? Cheers.

• Member Contributer

They only coat the bike with oil if its not set up correctly. Yes there is some fling as with all chain oils, but the scottoiler stuff can be washed off with soap and water.

Have a tutoro on mine, it's been on there since I got it, at its 12k service I was told the fling has coated the caliper, it didn't affect braking in any way and the pads weren't contaminated but since then, I have turned it down to a slow drip, (1/3 open). Worst part of all oilers (electric ones too) is the ambient temp. On a cold morning you'd be tempted to turn it up, then forget about it when the temp goes up by a mere 5 degrees, coating the chain and chucking oil where it isn't wanted. The good news is a slight over oil isn't the end of the world on this bike unlike some.

That's what's great about the pro oiler. I can turn it up or down with the push of a button on the dash. Plus it adds oil based on speed so faster equals more oil.

I picked it up from a guy who bought it and then sold his bike before installing. I think I paid $130?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

On top of a chain does not strike me as effective, but ymmv....

On the rear sprocket between the 6 and 7 o'clock position on the other hand.....

My version. Used the under-cowl space for the reservior (with the cowl on and seat off I can get my hand in and fingers between the reservoir cap and cowl so there's plenty of clearance) and all I had to do was open out one of the holes on the first bracket to fit over the larger diameter bolt, having replaced the original with a longer one to take bracket and locknut. Routed tube along the chainguard and behind the sprocket guard using p-clips and then the single delivery head on the sprocket. Primed it using the supplied magnet to open the valve which worked better than I was expecting, then shut it down to one half turn from closed. Seems to be working OK, 10-mile test ride left a shiny coating of oil along the rollers but I expect I'll be playing with the setting over the next week or so.

post-13632-0-35057900-1460815031.jpg

post-13632-0-89787600-1460815386.jpg

post-13632-0-07209700-1460815396.jpg

post-13632-0-93701300-1460815406.jpg

post-13632-0-28378600-1460815418.jpg

post-13632-0-66780300-1460815429.jpg

post-13632-0-95638500-1460815448.jpg

Go to say I much preferred my method of routing. You wouldn't know it was there.

I agree, tried that first but couldn't get the head to stay in contact with the sprocket with the greater bend in the final bit of tube, an advantage of the Scottoiler mounting plate I think, so I went for the straighter route down the chainguard instead.

Archived