Intermittent Starting

mrmessy800

hi there

has anyone else had this prolem?

i have a 2015 vfr and love it to bits.

but on a few occasions now i have hit the start button had half a crank out the engine then everything goes off dash lights everything!!!

leave it a second hit the start again and she springs into life. it has happend about 10 times now.

i have checked battery connections all good and tight and has a full charge. i dont matter if the bike has been run or left for a few weeks still the same trick.

any idears??

thanks

Check the starter relay. There was a recall issued over some starter relays. I can't recall which years were affected.

ok what i be looking for on it????

but that makes sence as the main power goes threw it.

just round the recall letter on the www and decoded the date on the bottom of the starter relay and think it may be a bad one.

this is link to what i found http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM483041/RCRIT-15V439-3871.pdf

• Member Contributer

Yep, had it on the odd occasion and seems to be on cold starts. While I don't have the specs on the starter motor, it seems to be (from memory) smaller than the 6th gen, possibly lacks a little grunt, never had this effect on any of my three 6th gen versions.

• Member Contributer

Hi mrmessy800,

mine does exacly that like 2 -3 out of 5 days, in all temprature's .

i just always held the start button pushed in and a second later it started, with the dash litghting back up .

never really thought much of it .

one of my buddies harleys does it all the time .

:comp13:

Yes, mine occasionally does that too. Exactly as you say, random times and always starts immediately at the next attempt.

think as there is a few bikes that do the same ill get it booked into Honda to have a look and sods law it will not do it for them.

• 2 weeks later...

What grade of fuel are you guys using? Mine has never done this and I have had it almost 2 years now, I think this engine has more ignition advance or compession than the previous use in 6th gens, and I am wondering if a little preignition while cranking is stalling the engine and causing electrical overload. I have always run 98 RON which would less likely to preignight, but I am only guessing.

I have a stihll chainsaw that does this as well when starting and that is not much fun...

• Member Contributer

What grade of fuel are you guys using? Mine has never done this and I have had it almost 2 years now, I think this engine has more ignition advance or compession than the previous use in 6th gens, and I am wondering if a little preignition while cranking is stalling the engine and causing electrical overload. I have always run 98 RON which would less likely to preignight, but I am only guessing.

I have a stihll chainsaw that does this as well when starting and that is not much fun...

Hmm interesting thought dogman. 6th Gen specs = Compression 11.6 to 1, timing 15deg BTDC at Idle.

8th Gen specs = Compression 11.8 to 1, timing 8.3deg BTDC at Idle.

Surprising the 8th gen is more retarded (timing wise!!!!) than the 6th gen.

You might have a point with the fuel octane, can't say wether it's done it more on premium or standard 91ron as I have played with both. I will definitely take note of when it happens next and the fuel I use, though I seem to have this starting issue very rarely.

Still got my doubts about the 8th gen starter capacity, reckon it's smaller than the 6th gen.

Cheers.

Grum

i do run both types of fuel. and it is very much hit and miss when it decided to not fire.

i do think it might be the starter solined as when it happens everything cuts out on the bike. and the main power runs threw it. so if its week it would cut everything.

thanks for your thorts but ill see what Honda Bromsgrove say and hope the ecu has logged a fault.

up date honda found no fault found! ecu not logged any fault codes. so they checked all connections cleand them inspected starter solined checked battery. nothing so as they know about it that have another look when its in for her service.

Archived