No Crank No Fuel Pump

TurdEngineer99

Hello folks

took the bike out of winter layup - basically, I remove battery and then refitted just like I've done every winter.

02 non-ABS with 26k miles. only mods are 02 sensor delete, air box mod, and orig. exh. mod.

so, turn the key, lights come on and the fuel tank level shows up. then press the engine stop switch to the on position and the fuel pump doesn't 'whir' nor does the engine crank.

Battery is fully charged

Oh joy!

here's a run down of things checked and/or known

1. tank is full

2. all fuses checked for continuity - none blown, except the 30A near Neg terminal on battery doesn't look all that good

3. put battery across the fuel pump and it works

4. bypassed the starter relay and engine will crank

5. disconnect various harness connections, cleaned each with contact cleaner

6. none of the relays 'hum'

7. the wire between the 30Amp fuse mentioned earlier to the harness connection is dry and the jacket is splitting, but not broken.

8. the recall was never performed on the bike; no vfr-harness, etc.

9. the starter switch was sticky, opened up the plastic housing and cleaned it. No longer sticky now.

10. the only other oddity other than described above is when right hand turn signal put on it doesn't light unless you keep pressure on the switch then it will blink.

after I press "post", I will get back to troubleshooting....

thnx

Tim P.

Did you check the fuses after cleaning the starter switch? Well I guess if it wasn't blown there is little chance it would then blow from a little more time in the stuck position.

Bypass the sidestand switch?

• Member Contributer

kill switch? just had a customer drop off a bike the other from that. he unloaded I went out, sat on the bike, flipped kill switch hill button and took off for a ride.

kill switch is notorious for this on the Shadows. I have read that many don't even use it for this reason. Turned the bike off with the switch. Went to start it, no fuelly, no cranky. Cleaned kill switch, starts right up.

• Member Contributer

I've seen that fixed with contact cleaner sprayed around the edges of the kill switch and then cycling it. The 30 amp fuse sounds suspect even if continuity is good. It may test good but not be able carry enough current. Some contact cleaner on it could be helpful.

thnx for the tips, all

after changing 30 amp fuse & going thru most of the harness points, relays, along with opening the engine stop switch/starter button housing - sprayed contact cleaner in all, I let it sit overnight. yesterday, I put alligator clips from 30 amp fuse holder to the female harness clip, turned the key, flipped switch to on/off a few times then heard a relay "click; pressed starter button with a successful crank & fire up!

the 30 amp fuse holder & harness with wire in between are definitely 'tired' looking and will replace those today.

you know, I bought a Honda to avoid these issues, however, for a 14 yr old bike and 8 yrs of ownership, this is the only problem I've had with it, so that's not bad at all.

Archived