Ripped A Wire To The Brake Light Connector

number9

I was a bit ham-fisted and managed to break the wires on the VFR's rear brake light.

IMG_0059_zpsivwwanz3.jpg

How do I get the pins out of the connector so that I can re-solder them? Naturally, the wires broke off flush with the connector, so I can't solder them the way they are now. :rolleyes: I tried pushing them through with a pick and pulling them through with pliers, but neither seemed to work and I didnt' want to ruin the connector.

This brake light is always on, so I can't get the bike inspected while it's FUBAR.

• Member Contributer

From the front of the harness plug, you should be able to slide a very thin jewelers screwdriver or something similar between the plug and the spade connector and release the locking tab. Then you should be able to pull the connector out from the back.

• Member Contributer

I've found this tool to be indispensable in removing many different pins from their respective connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56500-Terminal-Tool/dp/B0009OR906/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457468877

One issue you will probably discover is that the terminals are crimp type. You can wing it with a pliers and some solder but the correct crimping tool is kind of expensive.

This is the connector kit required:

http://www.cycleterminal.com/honda-tail-light-connector.html

• Member Contributer

Short of having a dedicated tool, dental tools can also be used. They're useful for other jobs as well. In particular I've used them to straighten radiator fins. They can be had on Amazon, ebay and some surplus stores have them.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-DD312-12-Piece-Stainless-Double-Sided/dp/B000SVRSRY/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1457493559&sr=1-1&keywords=dental+tools

From the front of the harness plug, you should be able to slide a very thin jewelers screwdriver or something similar between the plug and the spade connector and release the locking tab. Then you should be able to pull the connector out from the back.

So I bought this Lisle kit and I'm still struggling to get the damn connectors out. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Those connectors can be a pisser even with the right tool. Patience will go a long way here. Man, I sound like Yoda.

Those connectors can be a pisser even with the right tool. Patience will go a long way here. Man, I sound like Yoda.

Is the locking pin on the top and bottom of each terminal, or the sides?

• Member Contributer

My VFR is still under winter storage so it will be difficult for me to check. If you look close enough into the connector you should be able to see where the tabs are that hold the pin in the connector.

• Member Contributer

Short of having a dedicated tool, dental tools can also be used. They're useful for other jobs as well. In particular I've used them to straighten radiator fins. They can be had on Amazon, ebay and some surplus stores have them.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-DD312-12-Piece-Stainless-Double-Sided/dp/B000SVRSRY/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1457493559&sr=1-1&keywords=dental+tools

Or if you know of a dentist retiring soon, just ask for dibs on the tools. Most of the time they end up at the curb on bulk pick-up day.

• Member Contributer

Is the locking pin on the top and bottom of each terminal, or the sides?

Try this

• Member Contributer

Good video. The last time I ordered from Tightwad, I had him send me some spare connectors and spades for times when the tab breaks off and needs to be replaced.

• Member Contributer

Good video. The last time I ordered from Tightwad, I had him send me some spare connectors and spades for times when the tab breaks off and needs to be replaced.

+2 one broke .

Archived