Barnett Clutch Disc Install Help

Duc2V4

Question

• Member Contributer

So the basic instructions from Barnett is to soak the disc and install them as per the manual. Long story short there is only one disc that is different than the others in the Barnett kit but the manual says there are two that are different disc that go on each end, so being that there is only one that is different, would it make sense that this goes in first or last?

Again the Barnet instructions say that one or more disc might be different and that you should follow the manufacturers instructions. Anyone install this kit and if so, which position does the odd disc go in, first, closest to engine or last, closest to the case?

For the record this is for the 2001, which appears to be the same kit for all VFRs 2000-2009.

8 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

on my 4th gen, the odd one sits closest to the engine

That was my guess but wanted confirmation! Thanks Dutchy!

• Member Contributer

make sure the friction and steel plates all sit inside the basket and stay in as you tighten up the bolts/ pressure plate. if not you may end up cracking the pressure plate. use a torque wrench, tightening in a X pattern bit by bit.

• Member Contributer

make sure the friction and steel plates all sit inside the basket and stay in as you tighten up the bolts/ pressure plate. if not you may end up cracking the pressure plate. use a torque wrench, tightening in a X pattern bit by bit.

Yep, done and done! All good. Went for a quick ride around the housing complex and everything seems to be good to go. Thanks again Dutchy.

• Member Contributer

Yep, done and done! All good. Went for a quick ride around the housing complex and everything seems to be good to go. Thanks again Dutchy.

which bike did you put new plates in, 5th or 6th gen? Let us know how they perform.

• Member Contributer

which bike did you put new plates in, 5th or 6th gen? Let us know how they perform.

I put the new clutch on the 5 Gen. Hopefully I can take a real ride next weekend and give a report, I was only able to do a quick test ride today. Tomorrow i have non motorcycle business to attend to.

I have to say that the 6 Gen clutch seems fine, at least at the moment, but the 5 Gen was slipping a little the last few times I rode it so figured it was time to upgrade it.

According to their website the kit I bought fits 2000-2009 models so anyone doing this same update should be cognizant of the one off disc position.

• Member Contributer

Did you upgrade the springs?

Ciao,

Yes, the kit includes 8 friction plates, 7 steel plates and 5 springs. Here's the kit part number: 303-35-20046

I bought it on eBay from an online reseller, I think it listed for ~$124 plus tax (due to both them and I being in CA). Retail is about $182 from Barnett directly.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/365/honda/0/0/2001-honda-vfr800.html

Archived