Valve Clearance Check Set Up Question

maxredline

• Member Contributer

1) I have looked at the manual but I am not sure whether I need to drop the oil before opening the crankshaft timing cover (on the side of the engine) while on the center stand. Obviously I don't want to if I do not need to.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

3d is quite correct. The oil level is exactly what you see through the sight glass on the clutch cover. Out of interest, I recently worked on the clutch on my VTR1000 and with the bike on the sidestand, I didn't spill a drop of oil.

• Member Contributer

Wow the front cylinder cam lobes are tuff to get the feeler gauge into with a feeling of confidence that you have the correct clearance reading, particularly the exhaust.

The rear cyclinder vavles need no adjustment at 60K all within 0.001.

Time for a break and then try again.

• Member Contributer

Let us know what you find with the other cylinders. I'm betting they don't need adjustment.

• Member Contributer

Yup all intakes spot on while all exhaust valves 0.001" tight and within tolerances. Next it will be interesting to see how close the throttlebodies are sync'd. Then to find out if the flat spot around 5k rpm is gone with the pair and flapper gone. If not I will play with the power commander.

Archived