Non-Linked Brakes

Bent

• Member Contributer

Having been away from VFR's for too long, I've been catching up on the new 8th gen. Looks like Honda did make some genuine improvements and they can be bought cheap compared to long ago. They really haven't gone up in price considering what people are really paying.

Question 1: I wonder why Honda de-linked the brakes. The linked brakes didn't bother me. Anyone have any opinions as to why Hondas de-linked the brakes?

Question 2: Is the new Interceptor still having problems with the cam chain tensioner surface wear and noisiness?

• Member Contributer

1. Better performance when just utilizing the front brake and easier to flush/bleed as well as lighter weight.

They dropped 22 lbs or 7 lbs (standard and deluxe with centerstand) compared to the old 6G.

Since the engine is not changed (other than apparently cam timing and Vtec programming) i doubt that anything has changed on the cam chains but I don't know for sure.

• Member Contributer

Having been away from VFR's for too long, I've been catching up on the new 8th gen. Looks like Honda did make some genuine improvements and they can be bought cheap compared to long ago. They really haven't gone up in price considering what people are really paying.

Question 1: I wonder why Honda de-linked the brakes. The linked brakes didn't bother me. Anyone have any opinions as to why Hondas de-linked the brakes?

Question 2: Is the new Interceptor still having problems with the cam chain tensioner surface wear and noisiness?

On Q1....probably cost.My guess it more expensive for all the gear that supports the linked system. And a few of us hate linked brakes anyway.

Q2 ... IMHO Honda has yet to learn how to design a reliable cam chain system.

• Member Contributer

1. Better performance when just utilizing the front brake and easier to flush/bleed as well as lighter weight.

They dropped 22 lbs or 7 lbs (standard and deluxe with centerstand) compared to the old 6G.

Since the engine is not changed (other than apparently cam timing and Vtec programming) i doubt that anything has changed on the cam chains but I don't know for sure.

Thanks CornerCarver. Are you still crazy or have you been "fixed" yet. I think I know the answer. Always enjoyed your presence at TMAC. Maybe I'll make the one this year. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Not been spayed and not sure about neutering my comments but I forget and or forgive much more these days.

Hope to see you there Jim!

• Member Contributer

I agree with CC; it would be great to see you again. I will never forget those two group rides we had.

• Member Contributer

I agree with CC; it would be great to see you again. I will never forget those two group rides we had.

Thanks MaxSwell. Yes, we had a good time I haven't forgotten either. I hope to be at this year's TMAC but some things have to happen in my world before I can commit to it. I expect they will happen but, jeez, it's still January and frozen for all intents and purposes. I'm getting tired of winter!

Archived