Rear Brake Caliper

otmaximus

• Member Contributer

You may have to drill it out. The thread is a very fine (and unusual) M10 x 1.0, so try not to bugger the threads! Later Hondas like my ST1300 used a little rubber plug instead of a metal screw-in plug. You can get them from Honda:

post-362-0-18867700-1453194020.jpg

Ciao,

Thanks for the tip (and the PN!). I was thinking about replacing it with a plug, good to know an OEM part is there. I'm going to replace them on all the bikes with the next pad change.

Paul

I tried tapping it with a hammer and small screwdriver. And I tried liberal amounts of spray penetrant. I even tried my 19.2V impact gun with screw driver bit. It actually broke the bit.

I gave up and bought another caliper off eBay.

I'm replacing all the screw caps with the rubber plugs mentioned above.

Yep, tried that too.

At the edge of the drill hole, the cap just got mangled into the threads.

I'm sure someone with more patience and skill probably could have done it.

Lesson learned...

I forgot about the left hand drill bit trick. Anyway moot point now. I got the new caliper on, and I put a new disc on too.

I noticed some rust dust on the axle, it looks like the seal/bearing is dried out on the sprocket hub.

The main drive bearing assembly looked fine.

So I'm going to stop at the local MC shop to see about pressing in a new seal/bearing.

This bike only has about 50k miles. My 94 lasted well over 100k before that's bearing gave out.

Paul in SoCal

Archived