Pikes Peak Handlebar Rule

JZH

• Member Contributer

Weird. To anyone who knows anything about fast motorcycles, that is... Jeremy Toye, the 2014 winner, nailed it.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Goodin, 54, was apparently slowing after the checkered flag at the summit when he lost control of his 2014 Triumph Daytona 675R. Paramedics gave him CPR immediately after the accident and did not stop until he was airlifted by Flight For Life medical response helicopter. One paramedic on the scene said he believed Goodin died instantly. Reportedly police quickly confiscated riders' and photographers' SD cards from cameras after the accident.

Not to change the subject but I did not know the police could do this.

Reportedly police quickly confiscated riders' and photographers' SD cards from cameras after the accident.

The NCSHP can and does if they pull you over and openly see your camera.

I do my best to hide mine.

Helmet over the camera and gloves over the radar detector.

One ticket is more than enough during any traffic stop.

Just think about all of the cars which you past who are 30mph under the speed limit.

The cops don't care that the driver was holding up traffic. Just that you crossed the double yellow.

• Member Contributer

Reportedly police quickly confiscated riders' and photographers' SD cards from cameras after the accident.

The NCSHP can and does if they pull you over and openly see your camera.

I do my best to hide mine.

Helmet over the camera and gloves over the radar detector.

One ticket is more than enough during any traffic stop.

Just think about all of the cars which you past who are 30mph under the speed limit.

The cops don't care that the driver was holding up traffic. Just that you crossed the double yellow.

Good to know because I always run with the camera on .

• Member Contributer

Potential evidence of a crime having been committed. However, the extent to which they can do this depends on the jurisdiction involved. In general, police cannot go on a "fishing expedition" for evidence of crimes not known to have been committed. You're lucky if the cops are only seizing the memory cards--I recently read of a seizure in the UK where they took the whole camera!

I read that Goodin crashed in a gravel parking area after he had crossed the finish line--obviously none of the silly rationalisations offered by the PP organisers about "sight lines" would have made a jot of difference had he been riding a bike with OEM tubular handlebars. However, US racing rules have long featured silly little rules designed to favour certain marques without overtly doing so. This, in turn, inspires Smokey Yunick-like rules interpretations. It's just the way it is. But IMHO the people who implement nonsense rules and defend them should be made to look as stupid as possible until they stop (if ever)...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

From the rule book.

K. Only motorcycles manufactured with one piece handle bars as original equipment will be permitted. Only OVM one-piece handlebars will be permitted. This Rule does not apply to bikes in the Pikes Peak Challenge Sidecar Class

• Member Contributer

Their thinking seems to be that sportbikes are the dangerous parts, and that if people are on dirtbikes/dualsports, it will be safer.

The issue is that it is a fully paved road. Speeds on a super moto will still be faster than when it was a dirt road. And you probably slide farther on asphalt than on dirt, if you do go down.

Maybe next year people will be racing with the SVX550 with the BeOn kit.

aprilia_orig.jpg

aprilia_gp.jpg

• Member Contributer

I guess I had NO IDEA how close to death I was....Clip-ons, fries, a greasy burger, and a Coke could have damned near killed me. Sometimes it's best not to know how close to death we are!

Mountain top lunch! looking east over Colorado Springs, CO

Archived