Shoei Qwest Vs Shoei Rf1200

VcFR

• Member Contributer

Ok y'all, I'm looking for a new helmet. I am in serious need of an upgrade. Currently I have a Speed and Strength helmet that I have had for about 5 years. For those of you who have tried both, please enlighten me on the differences between the Qwest and the RF1200 (ie most quiet, comfortable, in wind, in rain, or whatever else you think I may need to know). I'm also kinda looking at the GT Air (I like the drop down visor). Gotta have a new helmet to go with my new bike. :biggrin: TIA

• Member Contributer

I have edited my original post as I am looking at the GT Air also. I like the idea of a drop down visor. Please share your opinions on this too. :smile:

• Member Contributer

I went from using a smoked visor to a clear visor + sunglasses to a drop down sun visor.

The drop down sun visor is something I wouldn't want to be without anymore.

Much more convenient. At least here in western Europe where the weather and light conditions can change a lot over the course of a day, whatever the season.

FWIW, the GT-Air is a bit on the heavy side, and Shoei expensive of course.

• Member Contributer

I went from using a smoked visor to a clear visor + sunglasses to a drop down sun visor.

+1. After having one on my current helmet, it is a must-have on any future helmet.

• Member Contributer

+1. After having one on my current helmet, it is a must-have on any future helmet.
I like my sunglasses really dark. Are the drop down visors very dark?

• Member Contributer

I like my sunglasses really dark. Are the drop down visors very dark?

On my Scorpion they offered various tints for the drop down. I swapped out the light smoke to dark and it is perfect.

• Member Contributer

Ah something I can chime in on based on first hand knowledge. I have a GT-Air and I like it. Although it is a little heavy compared to other helmets, it's not something that I have noticed being an issue. Most of my sport rides I wear it and even though these are not touring rides, most of the time I am putting in over 200 miles and several hours of riding, so I am wearing it for quite a while.

The good:

It is a solid helmet, fit and feel are great.

It comes with a pin-lock lens and shield. One of the best systems to keep your face shield fog free.

Drop down sun shade is great but has certain issues. (See not so good below)

Airflow is decent but not as good as the RF-1100 it replaced.

Sound level is decent and not surprisingly, quieter than the RF-1100. More air flow = more wind noise.

Field of vision seems to be good and so far have not experienced any surprises coming from my peripheral vision.

The not so good:

Although the sun visor is great, it does not come with any anti-fog coating so it will fog up at times.

The sun visor does take some getting used to, at first it seems like it doesn't drop down low enough to but once you are riding and your head is not as upright, like when at a stop light, it seems to be in the right place.

Air flow, ironically, isn't all that great, especially in hotter times of the year, but on the average it's enough to keep things from getting to hot.

It does seem to have a good aerodynamic shape but sometimes when turning your head for a lane check, it does catch the wind a little. However I think this is not as bad as other helmets I have used/had.

All in all I do like this helmet and would most likely get another one if it were to need replacing.

Cheers.

I am considering the same thing. I have looked a lot at the GT Air and really like it but the price tag is what keeps me from getting it. I like the fit and my current helmet, (not a Shoei), also has a drop down sun shield. I really like that feature and I dont think I would want a helmet without one anymore.

I've got a Qwest and love it. Very comparable to my Arai Profile in terms of fit, comfort, quality, etc.

2 things that I don't like about drop down visors. For me the optics quality is lacking. I live in an area that is constantly exposed to excessive thermo-nuclear activity therefore, having good quality sun glasses is a must. I tried using the drop down an a Vemar Jiano, but it just didn't cut it for me. It was like wearing cheap, drug store sunglasses. The other thing I have an issue with is the damage it can do to the top of your nose if you have a get off. I know someone who was wearing a Shoei Neotec (flip-up GT Air) and executed a non-premeditated un-ass from an FJR. The visor removed a considerable amount of skin from the top of his nose.

• Member Contributer

One thing to consider with the RF-1200 is that there is a "transisions" sheild available now. It's pretty pricey, at $150, but that would be a nice way to eliminate needing a drop down internal shield, sun glasses, or carrying an extra shield. For me, the main drawback of the helmets with the internal dropdown shield is that none of them are Snell rated. Hopefully more helmets will have the "transisions" shield avaliable soon. Currently, I'm only aware of them being available for Shoei and Bell. (Which kind of bums me out, because the Arai Signet-Q is the best the best fitting helmet that I have found for my head.)

One thing to note for those that like to feel the wind and ride with their shield up. Sun glasses and/or a flip down internal shade add eye protection. If you run a straight shield (clear, tined or transition) you have no eye protection when you flip it up.

• Member Contributer

FWIW...

I had a Scorpion EXO-1000 with a drop-down visor. Helmet was quite heavy, I don't like that Scorpion only uses one size outer shell (so on my smaller head the shell was huge), but the drop-down shield was nice... as noted above, its light tint and optical clarity wasn't the best, but what I appreciated was being able to flip the main screen up and ride with the sun visor down while taking a huge blast of air to the mouth/nose.

I now have a Shoei RF-1200, and it is light, comfortable, smaller outer shell (Shoei has different size outers to match inners), more aerodynamic, WAY quieter, and just generally a better helmet. I never understood the price disparity, and I expected it was just name-brand markup, but this helmet really is at least twice as good as the Scorpion which in some way maybe helps justify the price (its still too damn expensive unless you get one on closeout). I don't miss the sun-visor anymore as this helmet is just that much better. Did I mention airflow in the helmet is unreal? Its like a waterfall of air just inside the visor, running from your mouth to nose, but not a mass of whirling air in your face at all - just fresh air where you want it.

I have a transitions shield on order - it is going to change my world I believe. Again its pricey, but to never need to change shields again... (I also now start work at about 5am, ending around 2pm, so I ride to work in the dark and home in the light - daily shield swaps or just buy a Transitions)

• Member Contributer

Had the GT-Air, sold it after just a few months. The drop down visor doesn't drop down low enough. Allows a lot of light to get through. The split view is not something I could get used to. Also doesn't flow enough air for summer riding. I'd start sweating, drop down visor would get condensation on it, blocking my view. Also hard to get on and off. It was quiet however. It is good for an afternoon ride where you are leaving late afternoon and returning at night. Convenient. If Shoei offered a dark visor replacement for it I would have kept it.

Sold it and bought a RF1200. Very satisfied with it. I think it's the best do it all option. Has speaker cutouts, just like the GT-air. Flows air very well. Relatively quiet. Excellent build quality and very comfortable. Will pick up a transitions visor for it for next season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks y'all! Santa bringing me a new Shoei RF1200 Dutchess helmet for Christmas. :-) Can't wait to try it out!

Archived