Painted The Foot Pegs

ca315

Painted the foot pegs and pillion pegs black.

Was reading a thread where someone cut off the pillion pegs, realised that on my bike they distract from the stainless steel pipe and plated rims.

Off they came, sand blasted, then a coat of VHT engine enamel, black then black pearl then clear. Just waiting on a set of Jollify carbon fibre covers which will take the rubbing of the boot heal.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381447126341?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Next is the front forks top bridge and handlebars.

Before and after photos below.

post-28916-0-32097100-1449289967.jpg

post-28916-0-28836700-1449290021.jpg

post-28916-0-53208100-1449290049.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice, looks pretty clean. I removed the right rear peg off of my 01 and I cut the left one flush with the rear cowl, so to be able to keep my seat/helmet lock, rather like the "peg less" look myself. Since my 09 is my commuter/tourer and the only bike my wife rides pillion, I left the pegs on but the bike is mostly black now, I prefer the contrast of the little silver that's on the bike now.

• Member Contributer

I agree it looks great, and I want to black out my passenger peg assembly as well... but will paint hold up with use? I figured powder would be a better way to go, but paint I can do myself - anyone done the same with some miles of experience to speak to longevity?

• Member Contributer

Sym automotive trim paint comes in a spray can.

The VHT Engine Enamels are a baked finish, I chose Black Pearl because it is a dead match for the black on the clutch cover, heat shield etc. Slight metallic and a very dark grey, not black.

Process after blast clean is:

• Hang up on coat hanger wire at about shoulder height
  • Apply as a continuous process leaving 30 minutes between coats.
  • Undercoat
  • Black (black pearl hiding power is poor, and didn't bother with pearl on the back)
  • Black pearl
  • Gloss (to take the chips)

The bake at 200F for 1 hour.

Ideally leave it for at least 1 week as the paint is still a little soft.

I've used the process on a lot of bikes now, anything from swing arm on a JR80 to forks, pegs, levers, etc. Usually either black pearl or metallic silver. Provides a long lasting finish.

• Member Contributer

Interesting... and I have a brand new toaster oven that I got 5 or 6 years ago that I have never used, which would probably be excellent for baking peg assemblies... hmmm....

Archived