2015 Retro Fit Cooling System

Noobtastic14

I've noticed on places like bikebandit they are showing full availability for parts on the 2015 cooling system. Has anybody tried to go front mount radiator yet? It seems pricey but I've always wanted a standard vfr and I may consider it in the future considering my bike was recently knocked over in a parking lot and messed up pretty good. It looks to be about $1300 for everything pictured.

rw9o1Ps.png

-Drew

The header pipes look a bit different on the 2015 that may be what allows the lower radiator to fit

I would imagine you would be the first to do this mod if you do go ahead please post a "how to"

You can do a front mount rad for a lot cheaper than that.

I've done it twice now, once with a TL1000R top rad, and currently with a custom made one.

Reed has used an sv650 rad, as well.

My thread has some info, and so does reeds.

I never did a how to as such. I bought a TL1000R top rad.

Moved the inlet from the left side to the right.

Made some simple brackets, the main one bolts up under the headstock where the oil cooler mounts (I moved the oil cooler down low behind the headers)

Silicone hoses in sizes to suit from asp, same place Mohawk got his.

And inline temp sensor adapter.

You can even fit a TLR fan on it, probably both, but I only fit one.

I'd never done it before, but I managed to figure it out.

My new one is a custom made rad, a bit smaller, but much thicker. Looks better on a naked bike.

Reeds sv650 rad is basically the same sort of thing, just a different rad.

• Member Contributer

My thread has some info, and so does reeds.

I never did a how to as such. I bought a TL1000R top rad.

Moved the inlet from the left side to the right.

Made some simple brackets, the main one bolts up under the headstock where the oil cooler mounts (I moved the oil cooler down low behind the headers)

Silicone hoses in sizes to suit from asp, same place Mohawk got his.

And inline temp sensor adapter.

You can even fit a TLR fan on it, probably both, but I only fit one.

I'd never done it before, but I managed to figure it out.

My new one is a custom made rad, a bit smaller, but much thicker. Looks better on a naked bike.

Reeds sv650 rad is basically the same sort of thing, just a different rad.

Did you do this primarily for better cooling? Looks? Less damage if the bike fell over/crashed? All of the above?

• Member Contributer

Don't forget the cost and complexity of mating the 2015 cowls to a 6th gen.

Keef,

Would your setup work under the 2015 bodywork?

Both you and reed are building street-fighters, so that's a part of the picture that you're able to avoid.

I did it for all of the above. Without the bodywork, the fan was always on, riding slow, riding fast, track days, commuting, no matter what, it was always on. And the side rads look ridiculous without fairings.

No idea if it will fit under fairings, but I can't see why not. How wide are the fairings? Mine are long gone, but I don't think either of my front mounts were wider than the stock side mounts.

The TLR rad is 450mm wide. Still looked a bit wide without fairings, but worked brilliantly, ran around 85 Celsius.

The new custom one is only 350mm wide, looks much nicer. Runs around 95celsius at my trackday last week- worse in traffic, but I haven't fitted a fan yet. I need to see what I can get that will fit.

• 3 months later...

...The TLR rad is 450mm wide. Still looked a bit wide without fairings, but worked brilliantly, ran around 85 Celsius.

The new custom one is only 350mm wide, looks much nicer. Runs around 95celsius at my trackday last week- worse in traffic, but I haven't fitted a fan yet. I need to see what I can get that will fit.

Hey keef, can you fill us in with some more details about your custom rad. Ever thought of having any more made?

For the TL rad, did you actually cut and braze a new inlet, or were you able to use existing connections?

I can't weld, but i can delegate.

The TLR has upper and lower rads, i only used the upper.

I had a local shop move an outlet from the right side of the TL rad to the left. I also blocked of (with a bung) the extra outlet that fed the TLR lower rad.

Made the TLR rad inlet top R, outlet bottom left so it suited the VFR. Cost about $100 at my local rad repair shop. Basically an hour to do.

I wouldn't have more custom made - I'm not a shop. I designed it to suit the brackets i had hand made for the TLR rad. WHich i then had to have remade because it didn't quite work.

The custom one is as small as it can be (dimensions) but a 43mm core, instead of the usual 16mm core. I have also managed to squeeze some small computer fans (IP55 rated, good enough for fair weather riding) in behind it. Without fans it worked well on a track day, but was running pretty hot in traffic without air flow.

If i can figure it out and make it happen, it is entirely do able for anyone.

The TLR rad cooled better, but my custom one is much sexier without fairings.

Reed used an SV650 rad, but the other one that might work is the honda VTR250 if you get those in the UK.

Thanks for that. I'll have another search around for rads. Most I already know about have inlets/outlets on the wrong side(s). I'll have another search and see what I can find.

Did you ever try a VFR750 rad? What reasons might that not be suitable?

No, first thing I tried was the TL. It had a bit less surface area than the 2 side mounts combined, so I figured it would work. It cooled really, really well. The fan only came on in the heaviest stop start traffic with high 35C ambient temps. It had so much airflow through the rad than I could see the fan spinning just from the airflow, not because it was hot. It would run around 80 C. Almost too cool with low ambient temps. I was thinking about getting rid of the sp1 oil cooler.

The custom one is 2.5 times thicker, and smaller. It's just about right. Not curved like the TL, so I need to add some air dams or something to force air through a bit better. It works well now, but I reckon it could be better.

Now I'm glad I have the bigger oil cooler.

Never tried a 750 rad, that'd be too easy. And because when I first started trying it, a TL rad was easier to get.

Archived