Preload-Adjuster Rear Shock 2009 With Abs

Kentakinte

Greetings from Norway.

Tried a few forums here in Norway without any luck, so i will try here. Sorry if my english isn't the best.

I feel something is wrong with my bike, and i suspect the rear shock. When i turn the adjustement knob on the preload all out to soft and then turn it clockwise to thighten it again, i can turn it about 13-14 clicks without any resistans at all. After those clicks it begins to get harder to turn.

Is this normal, or is the fluid about to drain from the shock? And can this have any influence on the feel of the bike?

• 4 months later...

I have the same 2009 VFR and feel the same about the remote adjuster. The resistance is low at first, then tighter but there is no sign of any leaking. And the action of the shock does change accordingly. The placement of the remote adjuster does allow for a lot of dirt building up inside the adjuster. I have removed it a few time to clean things out and the movement of the adjuster is smoother. Be careful not to lose the spring and ball-bearing when you disassemble the adjuster.

• Member Contributer

I haven't had experience of the Honda part, but I did have an issue with an Ohlins remote preload adjuster which lost some of it's oil. The symptoms were much as described, not much resistance to turning and then resistance increases quickly. You could also watch the adjuster on the shock and see when it started moving to compress the spring.

I was able to remove a screw on the adjuster and re-fill it with oil, which sorted the problem out in the short term. Inside the adjuster there should just be a piston which is moved by screwing in the adjuster, so you need to make sure the piston is fully extended (lightest setting) when you refill the cavity.

• Member Contributer

For the repair of this check out the St Owners forum on this problem ,pretty good description and write-up on refilling the adjuster .

• Member Contributer

For the repair of this check out the St Owners forum on this problem ,pretty good description and write-up on refilling the adjuster .

+1 I read it last year .

• Member Contributer

I recall mine being similar though maybe not that bad until I sent it to Jamie for a rebuild. It might be that every last bit of air is not bled out of the system during production. As long as it's not leaking (you can run your hands over the fittings on both ends to check for any oil) and you can get sag set the way you want, you might be able to run it as is.

• Member Contributer

Can someone please post a link to the post at St owners forum?

Thanks.

It is mentioned in this post .

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?149880-WARNING!!!!!-Rear-Shock-Issue-Can-Lost-Pannier-Or-Possible-Brakes-Loss!!!

Archived