Vendors For Oil/oil Filter/air Filter

Mikey

• Member Contributer

Just wondering if there are go to places for oil/oil filters/air filters, spark plugs, chain cleaner, engine cleaner, etc??

Going to be doing my first overhaul during the Winter months and will be replacing all fluids, coolant hoses if needed, plugs, pair valve removal. Check stator condition, valve clearance check.

Considering ceramic coating of the exhaust pipes and header.

Will soon post about R/R and battery and output to get a consensus about upgrading that system as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mikey

• Member Contributer

Walmart. Half joking, half serious. I get my Mobil-1 oil and DuPont chain lube from Walmart. Walmart even has DuPont chain cleaner and grunge brushes if you want to spray on chain cleaner instead of using kerosene, although YMMV if your particular store carries them. I get Purolator filters from Advance Auto when I catch them on sale. I think I got my last air filter off eBay.

• Member Contributer

Walmart. Half joking, half serious. I get my Mobil-1 oil and DuPont chain lube from Walmart. Walmart even has DuPont chain cleaner and grunge brushes if you want to spray on chain cleaner instead of using kerosene, although YMMV if your particular store carries them. I get Purolator filters from Advance Auto when I catch them on sale. I think I got my last air filter off eBay.

+1 T6 and I like the DuPont chain lube.

• Member Contributer

Call me crazy, but I've found ridiculously good deals on Amazon. And the selection is often amazing. If I don't buy from them, I use them to compare price and also check out the user reviews as well. I'm not sure anyone consistently beats the deal Walmart has on motor oil though, either car or motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

Why not give your local dealer a chance? They should have plenty of distributors that they can go to get what you need, and maybe even match the internet pricing.

You might even get some good information that you didn't get before from the internet, even though the internet is always right and all...

• Member Contributer

+1 on checking with the the local shops. Both the local Honda and Yamaha/Kawasaki dealerships near me will price match on parts, supplies and gear.

• Member Contributer

Why not give your local dealer a chance? They should have plenty of distributors that they can go to get what you need, and maybe even match the internet pricing.

You might even get some good information that you didn't get before from the internet, even though the internet is always right and all...

In my case, the local Walmart is about one minute from my house if I don't get caught by the red light. The Advance Auto store is about two minutes. The "local" bike shop is nearly an hour away and charges full MSRP.

• Member Contributer

Fellow Veefs and Veefers

Thanks for the insight. Closest Honda dealer is 30 minutes, next Honda dealer about an hour. I have visited both and will give them a fair shake. Kawi dealer in town, pretty good friends with sales slug there. Team Green though, I always walk in with a team red t-shirt on. First bike a SL70, then a SL125, then a MX360 because I couldn't afford an Elsinore. Almost popped for a ZRex though. CB900 for awhile, now very happy with the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Fellow Veefs and Veefers

Thanks for the insight. Closest Honda dealer is 30 minutes, next Honda dealer about an hour. I have visited both and will give them a fair shake. Kawi dealer in town, pretty good friends with sales slug there. Team Green though, I always walk in with a team red t-shirt on. First bike a SL70, then a SL125, then a MX360 because I couldn't afford an Elsinore. Almost popped for a ZRex though. CB900 for awhile, now very happy with the VFR.

There are some Yamaha filters that fit VFR's....maybe there's a Kawi equivalent?

• Member Contributer

Visited Walmart, Mobil 1 under 10 bucks a quart. May go back for more and check on oil filters. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Also picked up the DuPont chain lube and cleaner.

• Member Contributer

Visited Walmart, Mobil 1 under 10 bucks a quart. May go back for more and check on oil filters. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Also picked up the DuPont chain lube and cleaner.

BLS doesn't agree, but I and several others use Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w50 for about $24 for a 5 qt jug. Walmart also has great prices on Shell Rotella T that a lot of VFRD guys run.

• Member Contributer

BLS doesn't agree, but I and several others use Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w50 for about $24 for a 5 qt jug. Walmart also has great prices on Shell Rotella T that a lot of VFRD guys run.

The last time I bought Rotella T6 5W-40 at Walmart ('tho for my diesel pickup), it was $19.00 for the gallon jug!

• Member Contributer

The last time I bought Rotella T6 5W-40 at Walmart ('tho for my diesel pickup), it was $19.00 for the gallon jug!

That's about the same price per quart as the Mobil 1 15w50. However, it gives you other viscosity choices for full synthetic at less than $5 a quart.

Archived