What's A Good Price For Pr2S?

Belfry

• Member Contributer

My current set of Michelin PR2s are not yet done, but won't last another full season. I figured fall might be a good time to pick up another set. What's a good price for two tires these days? Checking my records, I paid $223 USD for two tires shipped the last time from Jake Wilson. There was free shipping within the continental U.S. (if you purchase two tires), and possibly some kind of discount from Michelin--though I can't recall. What has me wondering is that when I put together two tires from BikeBandit (which is supposedly having a big tire sale right now), it's $284 USD, and Jake Wilson's regular discounted price (no sale) is $271 for a front and rear. Did I score a super deal last time? Am I too early for a fall discount? I thought they might even be cheaper now since the PR3s and PR4s are out ... :huh:

• Member Contributer

Can't comment about the price you previously paid but Jake Wildon always seems to have the cheapest prices whenever I look. Rocky Mountain ATV is also owned by JW, so if anybody chimes in about them, it's essentially the same shop.

• Member Contributer

Can't comment about the price you previously paid

I'm thinking there must have been some kind of additional discount or promotion because the PR4s were being released. From what I've read, people weren't impressed with the PR3s, and the jury is still out on the PR4s. I've been very happy with the PR2s so I'm glad they're still available. OTOH, I've read good things about the Pirelli Angel GTs which could be had as a set from Jake Wilson for $266 ...

• Member Contributer

Can't comment about the price you previously paid

I'm thinking there must have been some kind of additional discount or promotion because the PR4s were being released. From what I've read, people weren't impressed with the PR3s, and the jury is still out on the PR4s. I've been very happy with the PR2s so I'm glad they're still available. OTOH, I've read good things about the Pirelli Angel GTs which could be had as a set from Jake Wilson for $266 ...

Could have been a promotion and I'm with you on the quality of the PR2. My last PR2 rear gave me 13.6k miles! I have recently went the PR4 route to give them a go and so far they haven't disappointed me, we'll see where the mileage comes out though as I still have tons of tread left. Main reason I went with the PR4 is to see how it compares. Both rears have been paired with a PP3 front and this combo has been working great so far.

• Member Contributer

CanadasMotorcycles.ca is my goto online shop. My last set of PP/PR2 was $280. Shipping is free over $50. I won't even consider American sites due to the exchange rate and horrendous shipping costs. But if you live near the birder then it might be worthwhile to make a trip across. But a $0.75 dollar don't get you much.

I have also bought from PetesSuperbike.com out of Quebec too.

I have locally got a set for 199€ shipped, and know they have been as low as 189€ a set shipped at times

Good price/value ratio!

• Member Contributer

CanadasMotorcycles.ca is my goto online shop. My last set of PP/PR2 was $280. Shipping is free over $50. I won't even consider American sites due to the exchange rate and horrendous shipping costs. But if you live near the birder then it might be worthwhile to make a trip across. But a $0.75 dollar don't get you much.

I have also bought from PetesSuperbike.com out of Quebec too.

The deals have to be very good for it to make sense (cents?) to buy from U.S. retailers at current exchange rates--and it certainly doesn't make sense if you have to pay international shipping rates, duty, brokerage, etc. I'm about 26 miles (41 km) from Point Roberts, WA where I have a shipping address so I can take advantage of free shipping deals within the continental U.S. And for the last few years, Canada Customs doesn't seem to be too concerned with assessing duty and taxes on purchases of $200 USD or thereabouts. I think they figured out that it costs them more in staff time to process all those small purchases than they collect. But you always have to do the math. I bought an Icon helmet from Canada's Motorcycle last year, when exchange rates were much better, because they were still less expensive for that particular model than the U.S. retailers. At the best prices I see currently in the U.S., Canada's Motorcycle would be less expensive for PR2s, but still significantly more expensive (even with exchange) for Angel GTs--go figure.

I have locally got a set for 199€ shipped, and know they have been as low as 189€ a set shipped at times

Good price/value ratio!

189is a great price--it works out to ~$212 USD at current exchange rates. The shipping from Finland might make it less attractive for me though! :goofy:

Archived