Pair Valves - Question.....

Skids

• Member Contributer

I bought a set of Mello Dude's pair block off plates ages ago but when I came to fit them to my 6th Gen, I couldn't get the little screw out of the valve to remove the petal valve (which means the block off plate doesn't sit flush) so I put the bike back together again and forgot about it.

But as I have a 5th Gen engine in the garage, I wonder if I could swap them over to the 6th Gen? I've cleaned the pair valves lots of times on the 5th Gen and so I expect the screws to come out easily, and as long they are a direct swap, they could sit in the 6th Gen with the block off plates on top.

Does anyone know for sure if they are the same?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Same plate. As far as the screw goes, a small pair of vice grips will twist the head of it right off. Insert the now stripped valve with the rubber seal back in and no silicone is required.

• Member Contributer

Same plate. As far as the screw goes, a small pair of vice grips will twist the head of it right off. Insert the now stripped valve with the rubber seal back in and no silicone is required.

I did try that at the time, to no avail.

Same plate? Excellent! :beer:

• Member Contributer

I just used a file on the nuts. They're brass and file down easily. I filed them down to below flush, and they work great to help seal the plates.

I did it that way so I could reuse them if the PAIR removal didn't work out the way it has.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived