Brake Pads

garyr

Dropped in a set of EBC HH pads at 8500 miles, now at 13500 and the performance is still outstanding. No excessive wear on the rotors, the pads are still in great condition.

These pads completely transformed the brake feel from slightly mushy to crisp and straight-line linear.

In the past I have always been an adherent to OEM pads, but not with this setup. These are much better.

• 2 months later...

I jump into that thread.

I'm new in the vfr world, I'll gedt me 2014 VFR next week.

However i already bought a set of EBC HH for the front.

I've been using those pads for 8 years for all bikes I owned.

The total braking power is typically not much improved with respect with OEM BUT the initial bite i much stronger and predictable.

• Member Contributer

Last time I tried EBC pads was on my 4th gen and I hated them DIdn't love aftermarket pads on my RZ either, and the brake rotors didn't either. But to each their own. I like the progressive action. So does my pillion.

I replaced the fronts on my 8th gen at a little over thirty thousand miles. One of the four pads was worn nearly to the backing plate, the other three the wear bar was just visible. Replaced with EBC HH purchased from the local Cyclegear who had them in stock. (Benefits of having CBR1000RR calipers - parts availability!) I didn't replace my brakes on my 6th gen the entire time I owned it - sold with 64k on the clock; apparently I ride the new bike a lot more aggressively!! No complaints with the EBC pads; slightly different feel from OEM, no excessive rotor wear, and the bike stops a bit better.

Yep - I travel between 80 to 200 miles a day for work, depending on jobsite visits, permits or sometimes just "taking the long way home" after clocking out. Fighting thru the Southern California traffic daily, I can't really afford not to take the bike, I would spend too much time stuck in traffic otherwise. I typically average 2,000 miles a month or 24,000 a year. This is my third VFR. My '14 has just under 36,000 miles on it currently.

That is awesome. Any issues with the bike in that period of time?

I'm in SoCal as well, but haven't really found the setup to carry everything to the job sites. Laptop, hard hat, plan sets,etc. Some of my permit applications are too big for the bike anyways, but I'd like to find a setup that allows me to ride more often.

Sorry, out of town the past few days.
No issues with the bike aside from replacing chains, tires, oil & gas on a regular basis.
In my opinion these bikes were made for this sort of thing, and a bit more fun than your typical "Commuter" bike.
I use my "Bazooka" for carrying full-size plan sets - a 4" tube with strap to sling over my shoulder.
I have several different size tailbags to choose from depending on how much I need to carry that day;
A bag big enough to hold a helmet should be able to carry a 3-ring binder & hardhat without too much trouble.
I have been known to lane-split 50+ miles with a big ol' SWPPP binder balanced on my tank when I forget my big bag!

SWPPP binder can get pretty big, lol. On Wednesday I submitted a CDP amendment that included 4 volumes of plan sets, a WQMP, the CPPP, etc. It barely fit in the back seat of my F-150 quad cab; no way I get that on the VFR. Most days my Saddleman tunnel bag does okay, but I'd like to get the hard case trunk. I've no interest in the side bags due to their size. I want to be able to lane split.

I'd like a little more security for my jacket/helmet while on site as well. For now, I run a cable lock through the helmet, a sleeve, and a foot peg.

• Member Contributer

SWPPP binder can get pretty big, lol. On Wednesday I submitted a CDP amendment that included 4 volumes of plan sets, a WQMP, the CPPP, etc. It barely fit in the back seat of my F-150 quad cab; no way I get that on the VFR. Most days my Saddleman tunnel bag does okay, but I'd like to get the hard case trunk. I've no interest in the side bags due to their size. I want to be able to lane split.

When there's a will, there's a way...

http://www.riderforums.com/daily-ride/64886-bicycle-carrier-motorcycle.html

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi all,

got 21000kms out of the oem pads . no problems from start to finish . had about 500km left in em before change.

Replaced with oem pads .

90€ for the pads, 24€ labor ( Honda dealer ) .

:cheerleader:

• 2 months later...

I have the EBC HH pads on both the 8th & 1st gen, plus I had them on the 2003 when I had it.

Agree with performance comments, but I notice that on both the 6th gen & the 8th gen with the drilled disks, there is a definite whirring noise with the HH pads that I didn't have with the OEM pads. Varies with speed and pressure of course.

Archived