V-Tech Adjustement

ShadowJP88

I'm questionning what do I buy between a 8gen or a 7gen, the price is what will change my mind.

I've seen a brand new 8gen for a low price (11500$ cad, 14500 with sidecases, taxes, shipping and quickshifter) (regular price tag is 15000$)

As I was more in love with the 1200 because of is power at mid rpm, I've got a question in my mind...

Is there a way the V-tech can be adjusted to start at another rpm than 7000? This is the thing I don't really like about the 8gen... it MUST run upper than that rpm while riding in sport mode. And I suppose the engine is surely gonna suffer from that much high rev.

Hello from south of the boarder.

I think the new 800 like the 06-up had a vtec engagement at 6400 vs 7k from 02-05.

The power of the 1200 is intoxicating and you should be able to find them for much less then the new 800.

Good luck chap. :beer:

6800 rpms is where VTEC engages on the 8th gen, it is one of the many changes made to smooth the VTEC transition from the 6th gen model. The engine wont suffer from it, it is designed to run at much higher rpms . Im sure the rev limiter cuts the engine out long before any point that it would be harmful to it. Mine frequently sees 10,000 rpms plus, like my old cbr600 seeing 14,000 rpms frequently, and I traded it in after almost 15 years and 36,000 miles.

• Member Contributer

I'm questionning what do I buy between a 8gen or a 7gen, the price is what will change my mind.

I've seen a brand new 8gen for a low price (11500$ cad, 14500 with sidecases, taxes, shipping and quickshifter) (regular price tag is 15000$)

As I was more in love with the 1200 because of is power at mid rpm, I've got a question in my mind...

Is there a way the V-tech can be adjusted to start at another rpm than 7000? This is the thing I don't really like about the 8gen... it MUST run upper than that rpm while riding in sport mode. And I suppose the engine is surely gonna suffer from that much high rev.

Does the 8th Gen have a "Sport Mode"? I thought those were referring to 7th Gen DCT models???

Not sure I'm understanding your question.....what are your concerns regarding the 6th/8th Gen Vtec engagement point and the use of "high revs"?

I've revved the nuts off my 60k mile 6th Gen and the engine is still sweeter than a sweet thing.

Does the 8th Gen have a "Sport Mode"? I thought those were referring to 7th Gen DCT models???

Not sure I'm understanding your question.....what are your concerns regarding the 6th/8th Gen Vtec engagement point and the use of "high revs"?

I've revved the nuts off my 60k mile 6th Gen and the engine is still sweeter than a sweet thing.

Sorry for my english :P , I mean while I ride in twisties, having myself in "sport mode" not the bike itself.

But that would be nice to have the v-tech engaged at 5500 rpm, so when cruising on highway, to not have to downshift 2 speed to activate it.

That's good to know it can resist that much in high revs, Maybe as SHvar said, honda put a rev limiter to cuts the engine out long before any point that it would be harmful to it. Aprilia's V4 can go up to 14000rpm...

My question is : Is there a way to adjust the engagmend of the v-tech, to made it start at a lower rpm

No, there is no way to adjust it. I'm happy with my 8th gen just the way it is. Almost all of my riding is fast in the canyons and I have no problem with V-Tech being where it is. Also, V-tech engagement point has nothing to do with needing to downshift to pass. That is due to the bike only having 100hp and weighing well over 500lbs.

To the OP.. if you are in Quebec the VFR1200 is considered a "moto à risque", so you'll pay the $1100 plate.

There are 4 2010-11 1200's on sale near me for cheap, but the expensive plate and higher insurance made them a no go for me.

To the OP.. if you are in Quebec the VFR1200 is considered a "moto à risque", so you'll pay the $1100 plate.

There are 4 2010-11 1200's on sale near me for cheap, but the expensive plate and higher insurance made them a no go for me.

Yep, I've seen them too. I can't fix my mind between those two bikes.

A 1200 for 8000$ with 2 or 3 cases with low mileage, even with twice the licence cost, that's not too bad.

But for 11500$ for a new 8gen... that's a big deal so I'll probably go with that. My driver licence will probably keep his point longer than with the 1200 :cool:

• 2 months later...

Would love to get the v-tech started around 5k rpm vs the 7k stock setting, it seems a little high to me. I had an 06 Honda civic si - poor mans sport car and the v-tech kicked in at 6k rpm - 8k rpm for a very narrow but thrilling ride. A company called Hondata sold a chip that changed v-tech to start around 4,500 rpm at the slight cost of gas milage. Anyway to change the stock vfr v-tech setting to start earlier? How about removing it altogether to have 4 valves fulltime?

• Member Contributer

I've had my 08 Vtec for 61k miles now.

If I had a choice, I would not have Vtec and just have a simple development of the 5th Gen engine, alas that is not a choice available to me.

But its current position is fine IMO. Can't understand why you'd want to reduce it. If you want the Vtec 'kick', use yr left foot to place the engine revs where you need them. Simply opening the throttle and hoping for enough drive because you can't be bothered changing gear seems a little lazy to me and certainly not 'involved' which is surely why we ride bikes.

This engine will sit at high revs forever. Don't worry about it!

I'm not sure people have understood why the VTEC kicks in roughly where it does. It's set up to maximise torque so it kicks in just after the engine produces maximum torque in 8 valve mode. If it kicked in at 4500 rpm the torque would drop off a cliff in 16 valve mode as maximum torque shifts up to 8600 rpm. Extrapolating torque curves, torque at 4500 rpm in 16 valve mode would be down about 25% compared with 8 valve mode. So you'd have a huge hole in the bike's performance between 4500 and 8600 rpm. By switching at 6800 rpm, the VTEC does its best to smooth the gap between maximum torque at about 5000rpm in 8 valve mode (the torque in 8 valve mode remains pretty solid until 6200rpm) and 8600rpm in 16 valve mode. So far from making the bike a super overtaking tool, switching to 16 valve mode at lower revs would make the bike much slower and force you to change down gears to gain speed due to 25% less torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I've had my 08 Vtec for 61k miles now.

If I had a choice, I would not have Vtec and just have a simple development of the 5th Gen engine, alas that is not a choice available to me.

But its current position is fine IMO. Can't understand why you'd want to reduce it. If you want the Vtec 'kick', use yr left foot to place the engine revs where you need them. Simply opening the throttle and hoping for enough drive because you can't be bothered changing gear seems a little lazy to me and certainly not 'involved' which is surely why we ride bikes.

If you really want to be "involved", go buy and ride a 2-stroke.

Ya' lazy gits!

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure people have understood why the VTEC kicks in roughly where it does. It's set up to maximise torque so it kicks in just after the engine produces maximum torque in 8 valve mode. If it kicked in at 4500 rpm the torque would drop off a cliff in 16 valve mode as maximum torque shifts up to 8600 rpm. Extrapolating torque curves, torque at 4500 rpm in 16 valve mode would be down about 25% compared with 8 valve mode. So you'd have a huge hole in the bike's performance between 4500 and 8600 rpm. By switching at 6800 rpm, the VTEC does its best to smooth the gap between maximum torque at about 5000rpm in 8 valve mode (the torque in 8 valve mode remains pretty solid until 6200rpm) and 8600rpm in 16 valve mode. So far from making the bike a super overtaking tool, switching to 16 valve mode at lower revs would make the bike much slower and force you to change down gears to gain speed due to 25% less torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^ WHAT HE SAID ^^^ It would be similar to shifting from third gear into 6th gear trying to hit top speed sooner. Loosing all of your torque at the appropriate time would kill your performance. I do miss the gear driven cams of my '97 but I've had no issues with Vtech on my '07.

• Member Contributer

^^^ WHAT HE SAID ^^^ It would be similar to shifting from third gear into 6th gear trying to hit top speed sooner. Loosing all of your torque at the appropriate time would kill your performance. I do miss the gear driven cams of my '97 but I've had no issues with Vtech on my '07.

Oh sure, but what about your VTEC?

;-)

• Member Contributer

Oh sure, but what about your VTEC?

;-)

Damned voice texting...... :goofy: Apparently voice text knows more about electronic games than Hondas!

Archived