New To Me Vfr

Gelthos

Hey everyone, so I just bought a 07 vfr RWB and I have a question. Prior to this I was riding, and still do, a 77 KZ650 in line 4, just a hoot to rip around on. I bought the VFR because of the endless credentials and reviews but hears my issue. This bike is for me and my wife, newer more reliable so on......but the throttle is soooooo brutally touchy, I mean scary at times. Now I'm wondering if this is just a characteristic of a V 4 vs an inline 4 or is it something else? By all means point me in a direction to tame this down a bit. Thank you all in advance.

post-33813-0-78438800-1439757021.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice find!

That can be an issue on 6th gen (your '07) and some other FI bikes. Most owners seem to gravitate to a Power Commander. If a PC III unit, also installing resistors or O2 eliminators to fool the ECU. There are various maps in the downloads section which you can use. The PCV uses O2 sensors to tune the map while you ride. Either would likely be a great help. I have a PC III which has made a world of difference. I also removed and cleaned my fuel injectors which IMO also helps smooth out the fuel delivery.

• Member Contributer

Basically what Cogswell said but I've heard a few say that doing a throttle body sync also helped quite a bit.

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard! And kudos for including a pic with your intro post!

Awesome guys, will check into this. My goal is to keep my wife interested in riding but as it is now she keeps head butting me. I know it also new to me so I need to work on being smoother.

• Member Contributer

Awesome guys, will check into this. My goal is to keep my wife interested in riding but as it is now she keeps head butting me. I know it also new to me so I need to work on being smoother.

Head butting on upshifts is common when using the clutch to upshift.

Practice lightly loading the shifter and then timing the throttle roll off with more pressure on the lever to shift up.

In no time at all you will perfect an extremely smooth upshift that will stop the helmet bumping.

The touchy throttle can be attributed to many of the items tipped to you above as well as most Honda shops set the throttle cable with too much slack.

Great bike and welcome aboard!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Power Commander. My PCV with a re-map fixed all my twitchy issues. also, tech-spec tank pads for the knees have been indispensible for two up riding. keeps me planted while breaking so my girlfriend doesn't squish my balls into the tank :goofy:

Gelthos,

I have not used one of these but some people say they help things and you can probably do a search here on the forum to get more information.............and it is probably cheaper than a PC.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g2-throttle-tamer

Here is a thread that mentions it........check out Post #8..........

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80273-havent-been-here-a-while-any-fixes-for-the-touchy-throttle-by-wire-in-first-yet/?hl=%2Bthrottle+%2Btamer#entry985364

LookingHard

Lots of good info here, but first thing I would do would be what CC mentioned "adjust throttle cable slack". It's free and may cure it for you.

From carbs to Fi seems to always be a little snatch y.

Welcome to VFRD! :cheerleader:

BR

Archived