Luggage

andy331

Hi all

I'm new to this so a little introduction... I'm andy and ride a vfr800 04 plate...

I'd like to get some panniers and fancy a bit of touring ...

So givi or kappa ?? What do you guys recommend? ?? Or is there something better ???

thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Givi and Kappa are actually from the same parent company. I've had the Givi tank lock tank bag and just purchased the Kappa tank lock tank bag and like the size/shape of the Kappa much better. It fits on the tank better (fore/aft placement and will hold a standard size document/magazine size where as the Givi doesn't).

I do like my Givi Blade trunk for hard storage with lockable space.

I have/love my Nelson-Rigg saddle bags. They are a "soft" bag but have a very rigid structure so they WILL NOT collapse/deform when they are empty, even at highway speeds. While they are not waterPROOF, they are highly water resistant.

I usually just run with the Kappa for daily use but my for my long rides, I always throw it all on board.

(ALL PHOTOS INCLUDE MY GIVI TANK BAG - THAT HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THE KAPPA)

Ready for lift off

Does this make my butt look big?

Long Haul Ready

• Member Contributer

These are the two tank bags that I have and this review (not mine) is spot on.... As I said before, I prefer my Kappa. The Kappa was also approximately $60 less than the Givi as purchased through Revzilla.com.

• Member Contributer

David Silver Spares

08L52MCW820_thumb.jpg

Each pannier has a 35 Litre carrying capacity. Comes complete with fitting kit.
Type
Genuine Accessory
Part No
08L52MCW820
08L52-MCW-820
Price
$495.00

Oops here the euro link

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/VFR8005-VTEC-2005/part_64586/

And WELCOME from the "World Famous Dragon " !

The OEM luggage is a nice piece of kit, no doubt about it, the mounting system is the least obtrusive to the look of the bike. However, you had better like the OEM topcase because it is not compatible with other top case mounting kits. If I had it to do over again, I would go the Kappa route. the Kappa stuff I had on my 5th gen was just as well made as the OEM stuff I had on my 6th gen since they are both made by Givi.

I love my factory cases. Had the side panniers when I bought it. I ordered the top case bracket and top case from davidsilverspares. No regrets. I also was able to order a new set of locks so they are all keyed the same. Love the locking luggage. It makes. Huge difference and you can carry a ton of stuff. Plus it looks like it belongs on the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OEM cases worked well for me ...the racking was easy to install and the cases have integral handles that lock the cases to the racks and also allows them to be carried like a normal suitcase. I am not a fan of the "top box" trunk...it makes the sleek VFR look like (don't have words for that look).....

Cinching bed rolls/tents/tarps and most other types of fold-able or roll-able gear onto the rear grab bars and racking is easy and to my thinking anyways ...keeps the bikes lines cleaner. An expandable tank bag from Gears (Urban Survivor) adds more gear carrying capacity and doubles as a a chin/chest rest when riding slab that near puts you to sleep (as in North Dakota USA). That tank bag doubles as a back pack, and has a handle for carrying like luggage also.

On my WeestromDL650 the top case trunk looks like it belongs..and the weestrom will never look as sharp as a VFR... I can live with those choices.

post-24317-0-27198500-1439332721.jpg

post-24317-0-77273900-1439333948.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the factory luggage as well. Though I also don't much care for the look of a topcase, it's the one I always seem to reach for to put on the bike. It's just so practical. I guess nothing's perfect. If you get the factory bags, be sure to get a set of liners - they vastly increase their ease of use. Bestem makes a nice set for about $40 +/-. Check ebay - they're often for sale there. Here's the full set installed:

gallery_20057_6047_402657.jpg

Archived