Sprocket And Chain 99 Vfr

Tews19

I posted a question in another thread but being new to this forum I am unable to find it. I am need to replace my chain and sprockets. I read that I should go the OEM route for sprockets due to a "rubber" coating????

Some suggestion to which chain and sprockets I should purchase would be great!

Thanks in advance

I have always used DID X rings on both of my Viffers. (well at least since X rings became available!)

As with most things one gets what one pays for.

• Member Contributer

The original front sprocket has a plastic coating on it to help with noise ,but for the rear buy a good quality one with the best chain you can afford . Kept up this will last a long time with minimal maintenance .

Thanks for the insight guys! I never cheap out on bike parts. Safety is number one here. So OEM front which is a 16??? Rear will be a 45??? Chain should be a DID x ring but how many links? and also should i get a 520 or 530?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the insight guys! I never cheap out on bike parts. Safety is number one here. So OEM front which is a 16??? Rear will be a 45??? Chain should be a DID x ring but how many links? and also should i get a 520 or 530?

Your thread reminded me I needed a new chain and sprockets. My great dealer just said mine takes a 530 chain. And explained some rear sprockets were made of aluminum - you do NOT want aluminum if you are going for longevity. Mine looks like it is behind the wear indicator. This is at just under 25,000 mi. I got my bike with 10,000 mi. I've no idea what former owner did but I lube the chain every 500 mi as the manual calls for.

I've got 32K miles on the OEM parts on my 6th Gen. Based on that, I bought OEM parts for the inevitable replacement.

Thats funny, my oem stuff lasted 32k, just replaced this spring, i went with all honda stuff, I figured 32k without a scottoiler is hard to beat.

• Member Contributer

5th gen stock sprockets are 17 tooth front, and 43 tooth rear. Chain is 530 and 108 links. Get the DID VMXS X-ring chain and super light steel sprockets from www.sprocketcenter.com.

I like to run a 45 tooth rear and stock front, or a 16 tooth front and 43t rear. That changes the gearing about 6%, which throws the speedometer of by a total of 11 or 12%, but makes the bike much more responsive. It bumps up the rpm's by about 600 at highway speed, and will cut mpg by 2-4, so the modification may not appeal to everyone. But I sure do like it.

• Member Contributer

When you have a 45 rear do you need to lengthen the chain? I have new sprockets and chain put a way for a chain job but I might like to try the 45 rear to see if I like it.

• Member Contributer

$240.00 Oh, and the DID chain type was ZVMX (not VMXS, I must have pulled that from a faulty memory bank.) The ZVMX is a very heavy duty chain. I got 32,000 miles out of the last one.

• Member Contributer

I went with OEM front, rear sprockets and chain at about 45K. I changed just the chain at about 22K.

Do not go on a long tour with a suspect chain or one that seems OK but requires constant adjustment.

Thanks again for all the insight. I received my sprockets and chain today. Tomorrow I will be installing. I will try to post a video when complete as this single sided swing arm has me confused in regard to how loose or tight the chain should be. The manual states a specific amount of play . I can't remember off hand.

• Member Contributer

For chain adjustment tension I think the range is .75" to 1.25". As a rule of thumb it's better to be a little too lose rather than too tight. With that in mind, I usually adjust the chain to where it will easily touch the bottom of the swing arm when pushing up on the lower run. (While on the center stand.)

• Member Contributer

Looks like you have some tight links in the chain. The rear sprocket doesn't look too worn, but without compairing next to a new one it can be hard to see the difference. Without seeing the front sprocket, which can't been seen with the cover on, it's impossible to tell what kind of shape it's in. I'd start by giving that chain a really good cleaning. Hopefully that will free up the sticky links and the tension will remain the same as you rotate the tire/chain. If that doesn't help, I'd replace the chain and sprockets.

On an average, most chains are only good for 20,000 miles, but can live to 30,000 if well cared for. More than 30,000 is pretty exceptional.

Given that your bike has 25,000 on it, I would guess that is the original set. And given the current condition, I would guess that set is ready for replacement.

• Member Contributer

There is a sticker regarding adjusting chain on the chain guard on my fifth gen. It's a little more general than the owners manual.

1" is spec. on the chain guard.

(20 - 30 mm) , (0.8 - 1.2 in), (13/16 - 1 13/16 in.) in the owners manual and the shop manual.

Other useful specs:

- chain adjust pivot bolt torque: 54 lb.ft, 74 N.m, 7.5 kgf.m

And a warning:

Excessive chain slack, 50 mm, 2.0 in, or more may damage the frame.

• Member Contributer

That's just the rubber that the OEM has. You'll notice the shoulders on the replacement near the shaft. That ensures it is in the right location when tightened down.

No worries on the new one.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kev. I guess I need a chain rivet tool. Is there another way to get the master link on?

You can peen the legs/pins with a hammer and anvil, but it's not nearly as precise doing it that way. Doing it that way allows a lot of variance and the possibility to have the side/link plate end up either too loose or tight. Having a propor riviting tool removes a lot of the guess work.

Archived