97 #3 Carb Leaking Fuel

Lannyl81

• Member Contributer

HELP....I have a very good leak at the fuel inlet to #3 carb. Appears the inlets are plastic...is this correct? Is the repair to replace these plastic lines or is it just the O ring at each inlet?

Are the replacement parts Honda only or are there better aftermarket ones?

Or Am I looking at rebuilding all carbs at this time as well? (25k miles....but it is a '97)

Rebuild kits?

All I wanted to do was to go for my first ride with the new Jamie suspension....aaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

pull the tank and grab a mechanics mirror.. verify where the leak is coming from.

the rebuild kits dont come with the plastic tube gas lines.

if its the O ring you will need to replace it.. but that would be odd...

if the line is cracked simply use quick setting gas proof epoxy on in.

i did that to a pals bike 20 years ago , and its still going strong. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I did pull the tank and the air filter housing to verify the fuel leak is coming from where the hard plastic fuel line enters the #3 carb. I had the engine running and could see fuel and with the engine off and just pressing a very small bit onto the plastic line caused fuel to leak out of the carb inlet.

I do not know if the line has broken inside the carb inlet or the seal is just toast....not without taking it apart. So I went ahead and ordered new joint fuel sets for both carb pairs wihich includes the seals.

So much for taking that ride this morning.

Now have to figure-out how to get those carbs off.....

• Member Contributer

getting carbs off are a snap. loosen the clamps around the carbs . remove the 2 screws holding the throttle cable mount in place .

place 2 pry bars under the rear carbs where they almost touch the cyclinder head. and push down , lifting the rear carbs . the front will pop right out with a wiggle.

to install them again..

lube all 4 intake boots. press in the front carbs.

use metal shoe horns for the rear.

place them on the rear intake boot lip and just press the rear carbs down.

works best with the boot clamp completely loose. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Same thing happened to my 94. It was the plastic manifold. I replaced it and o-rings of course, rebuilt the carbs, and cleaned/replaced every other thing that looked aged because I don't want to do it again for another 130K miles . The fun part is synching the carbs once you put it all back together. I love any excuse to buy new tools, but this took a bit of effort, especially getting to the adjustment screws. You'll need a sync manifold and an auxiliary fuel tank, both can be had at Motion Pro, or I can loan you mine. If you get to this point, I'll give you the tip on a simple tool to get to the adjustment screws. Or you could say screw it and just bolt it all together and live with it.

• Member Contributer

I had a fiber tube that had a crack that was facing inside.

getting carbs off are a snap. loosen the clamps around the carbs . remove the 2 screws holding the throttle cable mount in place .

place 2 pry bars under the rear carbs where they almost touch the cyclinder head. and push down , lifting the rear carbs . the front will pop right out with a wiggle.

to install them again..

lube all 4 intake boots. press in the front carbs.

use metal shoe horns for the rear.

place them on the rear intake boot lip and just press the rear carbs down.

works best with the boot clamp completely loose. :fing02:

I wish I had the internet and you in 1988 .

• Member Contributer

THANKS for the carb removal hints....I did take a good look at this and looks like not to bad to get them off.

While I was looking at the carbs I pressed on the rear joint fuel line and got fuel out of #4 carb fuel inlet....good thing I ordered both joint fuel tubes and seals.

Still wondering if I should pull the carbs apart, clean and put a rebuild kit into each one.

Appears that previous owners never had the carbs apart or anything....so gee....18 yrs old.....probably time to do this...huh???

Recommendations on carb kits??

Marsman99: I would like to take you up on your offer to borrow your carb sync tool. I like to get new tools, but have spent waaaaayyyyy too much on this bike as wife has pointed-out to me almost daily. I used to have a carb sync for my ole '78 Honda 750...but that is long gone.

• Member Contributer

Yep it is going to be awhile.....might as well do the carbs...so I ordered carb kits....so waiting form them to arrive....probably mid next week at best. Then of course I have to take everything apart and clean and put the new seals and float needles in all four carbs....so that is going to take a day or two...or three.

So I am thinking about Aug 1 is when I will be ready to borrow the carb sync...unless I go ahead an get one.

They are not all that expensive and I found a used one, but not worth the drive/fuel to go get it over a new one...but I have time to look and decide.

Later,

• Member Contributer

July 26: Rebuild kits and new joint fuel lines have arrived. Carbs came off without much trouble....thank you gll429. Found that two of the four collar screws were not even tight....so I guess someone has been in here before.

Anyways...will be taking the carbs apart this week depending upon how much time I have available. Will update with progress.

Archived