Weird Electrical Demon Plus Chain And Sprocket Question

Tews19

So it has been almost 2 weeks since I did any serious riding on the new to me '99 VFR. As I was backing it out of the garage I noticed my trip odometer had zeroed out. Thinking maybe I did that after I filled it up I checked trip 2. Zeroed out as well. Then I noticed my time on the bike went to 1 am..... HMMMM very odd. Anyone else have this problem?

Next question is I have read on hear most people recommend the OEM sprockets due to rubber inside of the teeth??? Helps with noise???? If so where do you all recommend me getting them at ? I checked out Western Hills Honda and each sprocket is 68 bucks.

Lastly, what chain do i get? I have read some get DID, some will get RK??? Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. '

Tews

• Member Contributer

Sounds like it's time to check out the charging system, starting with the battery. Have it load tested. Then when that's known to be good,go through "the drill" which you'll find pinned in the electrical section.

If you go OEM front sprocket, you have to use a chain with the dogbone shaped side plates. I bot a D.I.D. ZVM-X 530 which is compatible. For good OEM pricing check out Pro Caliber Motorsport in Longview, WA. Shipping over $99 is free. Lots of people like Sprocket Center - might check them out too.

• Member Contributer

Why with the OEM frt sprocket do the side plates need to be dog bone shaped?

• Member Contributer

The clock resets to 1:00 not 12:00 like old VCRs, so your start up definitely dropped voltage enough to reset everything. Pull your tail off and check the R/R connector (under your left hip if you are sitting on it), battery connections, state of charge. Search for stator tests if all that reveals nothing.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am hoping it may be the battery. The R/R was replaced and an additional fan was added. Could it have happened when I removed the GIVI luggage rack? I will still test the voltage and check the R/R connectors.

Spend the money you saved on a good DID chain and SunStar sprockets.

+1 or even the 520 conversion from http://sprocketcenter.com.

I have personally ridden Grif 5th Gen with this setup and the bike is a beast .

How does this make the bike different from stock ? Pulls up quicker yet has higher rpm at highway speeds?

• Member Contributer

Accelerating an unnecessary rotating mass requires energy and the acceleration saps some horse power we have to accelerate our bikes .

Archived