Red Engine Kill Switch And Taking It Apart

KanadianKen

Anyone taken the red kill switch apart to clean it ? I think mines acting up and needs to be gone through.

Not sure what to expect when it comes apart - if anyone's done it and can recall what to look for - I'd appreciate hearing.

My bikes an 02 but guessing they are all similar.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Before contemplating taking the switch apart I woul suggest a good soaking with ACF 50, I have had success with this every time.

If you do feel compelled to take the switch apart I would do it on a large white bed sheet or if not available, inside a clear plastic bag. It is a well known fact that modern motorcycle switch gear is modelled on WW2 anti personnel mines but using springs rather than explosives.

• Member Contributer

The turn signal switch has a little spring and ball bearing, but I don't think the other switch pod has anything other than switches in it. Clean out the old grease with solvent, but then you should replace it with new silicone (dielectric) grease.

Ciao,

I have taken many of those switches apart, no parts will jump out when you open it. Disconnect your battery before you remove it from the bar, and park a small cart under the bar to lay it out on, this way you don't have to dig the wires out of the bike.

I probably have spare parts if you find something worn out.

I have taken many of those switches apart, no parts will jump out when you open it. Disconnect your battery before you remove it from the bar, and park a small cart under the bar to lay it out on, this way you don't have to dig the wires out of the bike.

I probably have spare parts if you find something worn out.

Mucho Gracios - I have had the bike for 45,000 of its 56,000 km life - and NEVER use it - unless one of my friends flips it at a red light......... I'm thinking its oxidized a bit. Will have a look this coming weekend.

Archived