Am I Crazy For Headers?

AWP34

Hi Viffers!

After waiting a few weeks for Motad to get their 6th Gen Headers in stock they are now in. Now all I have to do is pull the trigger. I am trying to warrant that this upgrade is worth the $789 price tag.

I am looking for some assurance from the forum that, "hey you only live once". You will feel some performance gains, and hey you work hard so treat yourself.

Or the flip side. "Hey you are crazy man!" Be patient wait for a solid used pair of 98/99 headers for a good price. Despite the fact that I will need to get the 02 sensor bungs installed to take advantage of my Rapid Bike auto tuning feature. As well as get the pipes powder coated. Which not only takes time it takes extra money.

Decisions, Decisions. Help me lean towards one side of the fence or the other. Thanks for your time.

• Member Contributer

I have never owned Motad headers but from reliable sources on this forum who have they do not offer any real performance gains over an early 5th gen header ($100). You can get the O2 bungs for <$50 installed and ceramic coated ?$$?... all said and done for a third the price of the Motads but a little more time, what that is worth to you is your call.

• Member Contributer

The set of headers I had ceramic coated cost ~$200. O2 bungs are less than $3 each on eBay and getting someone to weld them on may cost you $50, less if it's a friend. I have seen quite a few sets of 98 Catless headers online and many times under $100!

Not trying to discourage but as Rush said, if the performance gain really isn't there, not money well spent. You can always wait a little longer and join the group buy on the Tyga headers the group is looking to have made. See this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78592-potential-re-release-of-two-brothers-racing-vfr800-headers/

What about other areas of your bike that may need improvement, or what about new riding gear? For me, the engine is the last place I'll be upgrading/improving. Suspension, brakes and riding gear come before I start looking for more HP out of my bike. It's doing fine without it so far!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I am into my 98/99 headers with ceramic coating for less than $250. I think you can guess my vote.

• Member Contributer

Hate to say it but you asked, there may be more effective ways to spend your money then those headers. Performance gains come from improved suspension too. A handful of track days are well spent money to improve your skills and enjoyment. Skill and cornering confidence are priceless.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I believe I will be focusing my attention on suspension and braking.

AWP, where are you in So Cal BTW?

Archived