5 Gen Fuel Filter Alternatives?

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Before I go dropping $40+ on an OEM fuel filter for my 5 Gen, has anyone used anything other than OEM that works, is cheaper and is readily available? I say a thread on alternative oil filters but the cursory search didn't turn up much specific to fuel filters. I'm not opposed to OEM, just figure $40 bucks seems steep for a fuel filter.

Long story short I am swapping out my 01 tank with a 98 tank for several reasons, but figured while I was at it, I would change the fuel filter.

• Member Contributer

I didn't change mine when I replaced my tank. There wasn't a single particle floating in the residual gas in the original tank. It was as clean, as clean could be!

• Member Contributer

I didn't change mine when I replaced my tank. There wasn't a single particle floating in the residual gas in the original tank. It was as clean, as clean could be!

Good to know. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I went OE with my fuel filter. It was expensive, but it had to be done. I bet you're thinking of my fuel pump strainer. It's not available separately from the fuel pump, but I discovered that the strainer from a mid 90s Honda Accord can work.

I only changed the filter because of all the gelled fuel in the system and I was starting clean, with a fresh coated tank, ultrasonically cleaned fuel rail and lines. If yours isn't giving you any problems, I don't know if I'd change it. Being that you're that far in, however... Your call

• Member Contributer

If you're not dealing with a rust filled, sugar sabotaged, or somehow heavily contaminated tank I wouldn't bother with a new filter. I've put several tanks on my '99 (98,600 miles), not sure if I've had the same pump assembly from the original (probably), but never bothered with the filter. I had water leak past my trackday fuel cap on the RC51. I drained it and rode after lunch with fresh gas. Once home I took it apart and let it dry out fully. That was actually a second used pump assembly I bought for the RC because I had a trackday tank with bodywork and was tired of swapping out the pump. Bought it used on eBay and never worried about the filter.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the responses, I don't have any history on the bike other than the PO I bought it from seemed to have neglected all of the fluids! I might wait until I see the filter but sounds like it's a non issue.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

D, it's just an inline filter right? Pull the existing one off and take it to your local auto parts place. Usually if I ask nicely, they let me go through their stock and find an appropriate substitute

I went OE with my fuel filter. It was expensive, but it had to be done. I bet you're thinking of my fuel pump strainer. It's not available separately from the fuel pump, but I discovered that the strainer from a mid 90s Honda Accord can work.

Damn! That was it SC. Sorry Duc, my mistake.

• Member Contributer

Duc ~ Keep us abreast of what you do.

• Member Contributer

Duc ~ Keep us abreast of what you do.

Will do. However, based on what has been said, until I see the actual filter I may just hold off. I'm pretty sure the filter is fine as I don't really seem to be having any fueling issues, just figured since I was going to be inside the tank, so to speak, I'd do some preventative maintenance.

• Member Contributer

If you're curious...this is how it looks:

post-14663-0-44030500-1433822475.jpg

I've ordered the OEM filter and it should be here this week. I highly doubt with the miles I have(8000) that it's 'bad', but my mechanic asked if it's been changed since it is 14 years old. I'm chasing a very random high rpm miss/stutter. Doubt this will affect that, but ruling it out anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

What if the inside of the filter is full?

Archived