Cat Is Coming Apart Blowing Chunks Out The Exhaust! Help

OK I put on Delkevic 9" Stainless exhaust Baffles out, and added Boosterplug to help with fuel and air mix. Took out and have nearly 500 miles on it and the last tank of fuel was non ethanol. Now here I am riding and it started stumbling like wanting to miss or die. I made it home and been trying to track the problem when cold will idle great as it warms up would start getting choppy and once warm just wants to die, unless you open the throttle and start it, well I noticed bits of steel shooting out the exhaust tips onto the ground little red fireballs, so then once cooled I looked at these chunks of metal it is the Cat guts coming apart and blowing out the exhaust. I need to know if anyone experienced this issue and also what would cause bike to run so terrible. HELP Please!

• Member Contributer

Cats don't die, they're murdered. Fuel is most likely burning in the cat, melting it. That's why you're seeing those red hot pieces spit out the exhaust - usually due to a mixture that's way too rich. First thing I would do is toss the booster plug in the trash. If you want to manage the fueling, install a Power Commander / Rapid Bike, etc. and get a proper map set up. Then verify that the cat is the problem. Remove the cans and midpipe so you can get a look down in to it. If it's a blob or in chunks you'll either have to replace it or gut it - it's not repairable. Full 6th gen headers do show up on ebay.

• Member Contributer

Not sure I've heard of the 'Boosterplug', is that a make? model? both? Personally I would remove this component and see if that changes how it runs. Not sure about the red fireball things.

Fuel could be an issue I did fill with non ethanol just before problem started and added a little octane booster, Are you familiar with the boosterplug from the uk?

The bike was running extremely well for about 500 miles and thinking of it only difference I did was pump up the fuel...Also if I gut the Cat the rest of way out I see little chunks have been blown out apart will bike run ok without the backpressure the cat offers???

Not sure I've heard of the 'Boosterplug', is that a make? model? both? Personally I would remove this component and see if that changes how it runs. Not sure about the red fireball things.

Boosterplug is a way to enrich when needed and air control it is a plug n play item attaches under the air box to the AIT sensor and has a tempurature sensor which reads from the current tempurature to tell the bike optimal air and fuel mix. similar to power commander v principles but about $149 instead of hundreds...They make these for VFR BMW DUCATI ect...

Cats don't die, they're murdered. Fuel is most likely burning in the cat, melting it. That's why you're seeing those red hot pieces spit out the exhaust - usually due to a mixture that's way too rich. First thing I would do is toss the booster plug in the trash. If you want to manage the fueling, install a Power Commander / Rapid Bike, etc. and get a proper map set up. Then verify that the cat is the problem. Remove the cans and midpipe so you can get a look down in to it. If it's a blob or in chunks you'll either have to replace it or gut it - it's not repairable. Full 6th gen headers do show up on ebay.

I did disconnect the boosterplug and same problem???I looked into pipe with camera and yes cat is getting murdered, so wondering if I degut the cat the rest of way and change fuel to normal ethanol fuel again if it would run good again

ok just looked again the cat is melting away and breaking off in chunks so I think your right on the fuel issue Im going to drain the fuel in a.m. then try normal fuel again without boosterplug and will try to cut bottom off cat and re-weld once cat guts are removed and at this point will put baffles into the cans to hopefully create a little backpressure and see what that all does. I hope the bike runs good without cat but seems I keep finding an equal of those who say it wont run right without cat and those whom say it will ??? That will be the question I guess! I really appreciate your input Cogswell!

• Member Contributer

It's just the same as a PC O2 Eliminator, so all it does it bypass the O2 sensors & that sets the ECU to default rich condition & does NOTHING for the bikes performance other than burn a crap load more fuel than required. Hence the guy has the CAT now melting whilst raw fuel is contaminating it.

Ah I just read OP description, you have the temperature adjusting one that is worse, as it makes the bike think its running cold & adds fuel continuously to the cycle. You only add a slip on, you don't need a fuel adjustment, as the CAT is the restriction point on the headers, NOT the silencer. Bike will run better without that.

Just an FYI you need to do more research, PC may be $400, but its a proper tunable tool. You just paid $149 for a RESISTOR ! You could buy the resistor from RS for 0.20c or just unplug the sensor for free & the bike will default to the rich state but give an Fi light on the dash. Much better a red light than red blobs coming out of the exhaust. Plus if you are VERY unlucky the debris could get sucked into the engine on startup & trash a cylinder.

Stop running the bike until you fix it !

• Member Contributer

ok just looked again the cat is melting away and breaking off in chunks so I think your right on the fuel issue Im going to drain the fuel in a.m. then try normal fuel again without boosterplug and will try to cut bottom off cat and re-weld once cat guts are removed and at this point will put baffles into the cans to hopefully create a little backpressure and see what that all does. I hope the bike runs good without cat but seems I keep finding an equal of those who say it wont run right without cat and those whom say it will ??? That will be the question I guess! I really appreciate your input Cogswell!

It can be done. There have been threads about de-gutting the cat. In some cases owners have installed catless headers from 5th gens or aftermarket manufacturers. There shouldn't be any issues running without a cat. You would however want to get the fueling correct, so do the job right and get a Power Commander. Regardless, you'll be removing the headers. With the cat obstructing the exhaust flow it will run like crap until you repair it.

It can be done. There have been threads about de-gutting the cat. In some cases owners have installed catless headers from 5th gens or aftermarket manufacturers. There shouldn't be any issues running without a cat. You would however want to get the fueling correct, so do the job right and get a Power Commander. Regardless, you'll be removing the headers. With the cat obstructing the exhaust flow it will run like crap until you repair it.

Amazing enough I just spent hours de-cat the stock one took out the boosterplug changed fuel and still pops and missing and acting like no power at throttle so guess will try a power commander next if that don't work then time to tear down...Thanks for your help!

It's just the same as a PC O2 Eliminator, so all it does it bypass the O2 sensors & that sets the ECU to default rich condition & does NOTHING for the bikes performance other than burn a crap load more fuel than required. Hence the guy has the CAT now melting whilst raw fuel is contaminating it.

Ah I just read OP description, you have the temperature adjusting one that is worse, as it makes the bike think its running cold & adds fuel continuously to the cycle. You only add a slip on, you don't need a fuel adjustment, as the CAT is the restriction point on the headers, NOT the silencer. Bike will run better without that.

Just an FYI you need to do more research, PC may be $400, but its a proper tunable tool. You just paid $149 for a RESISTOR ! You could buy the resistor from RS for 0.20c or just unplug the sensor for free & the bike will default to the rich state but give an Fi light on the dash. Much better a red light than red blobs coming out of the exhaust. Plus if you are VERY unlucky the debris could get sucked into the engine on startup & trash a cylinder.

Stop running the bike until you fix it !

"Took out the Cat re welded the bottom on and took out boosterplug and changed fuel still same issue erratic loosing throttle reponse like no throttle bouncing Im purchasing a power commander and then will map it...If it still does then I guess time to tear down...Thanks for your help!

Thank you DriverDave! I took out the cat guts and rewelded and still same problem, I also removed boosterplug and changed fuel. its erratic and loose throttle wants to croak...

Archived