Ok, I'm Gonna Shim My Shock

Rich

After reading up on shock shimming, I want to give it a try. I got 4 fender washers that total about 5mm. Hope that's not too much. So it's a matter of lifting the tank and loosening the nut, then sticking the shims in and cinching it back down, right?

Wish me luck!

• Member Contributer

That is pretty much the idea...you have to cut the washers like a horseshoe and leave the nut still on the top thread or two unless you want to fidle around in the dark for 30 minutes trying to align the top mount again...

A little easier if you can put the bike on the centerstand with the rear tire hanging from the edge of a driveway or use a 2x8 to raise the bike on the centerstand so the rear tire weight drops the rear more as you wind off the top mount nut.

That is pretty much the idea...you have to cut the washers like a horseshoe and leave the nut still on the top thread or two unless you want to fidle around in the dark for 30 minutes trying to align the top mount again...

A little easier if you can put the bike on the centerstand with the rear tire hanging from the edge of a driveway or use a 2x8 to raise the bike on the centerstand so the rear tire weight drops the rear more as you wind off the top mount nut.

Thanks for the tips CC! Yeah, I got the washers all cut and ready. Tomorrow!

• Member Contributer

My advise

After you shimmed the rear and dropped the front, do find an empty stretch of road and go through various stages of accel- and decelleration.

Also, at various speeds, feel what happens if you let go of the handlebars (ever so slightly).

Ride through your various twisties to experience what it feels.

for it will be different and only you can decide if you think it is an improvement/stable enough.

Do not wait in doing this until you set off on a long solo trip or spirited group ride with your mates.......

Well, I got my shims, lifted the tank and loosened the shock nut. How do I get the shims between the shock mount and the frame? There's no room to maneuver , and lots of bike stuff in the way. I'm probably making this more difficult than it is- that's my MO . Any help is, as always, appreciated :smile2:

This was tough for me too. I looked and looked and looked. I had to kind of contort my hand some to get it installed. I used an alignment shim and it had a tab on it, so it gave me less room than a washer would. I recommend taping your washers together so it is installed in one motion. I tried left hand/right hand and it was struggle struggle, then all of a sudden I found an easy way to install it. I'm not really sure how, but if I remember I kind of went in by the rear tire from the left side of the bike and somehow slid it in from the right side of the bolt. That's about all I remember, sorry. Just be patient and try different ways and it will slide right in.

Instead of having to cut washers, one can just buy some auto body shims which come already "U" shaped. They usually come in different thicknesses in a pack, plus they have more bearing surface than most washers, so they might be more secure to stay/not fall off the shock mount bolt and stirrup. When installing these or cut washers, it could be advisable that you have the opening of the u's alternate by installing them from opposite sides of the shock mount bolt as you stack them up, so you don't have a continuous gap and the loads through them are distributed better.

Update:

Got it did. Ended up going in from the right side after removing the black plastic piece. Naturally, I broke one of the clips for good luck. It was a matter of holding them with the very tips of my fingers. I only dropped them about 5 times. Usually when I drop a fastener I never find it, so retrieving all of these is a good sign. Now I wait for the rain to stop. Thanks for all replies!

Yeah, you better strap your helmet on a little tighter on your first ride, it's pretty mind blowing how well the bike reacts after. If you haven't already, please spend the $20 - $40 to have someone set up the sag on your bike. That is really important. It was easy on my bike, because of my weight, they simply maxed preload all the way. ( Sadly, I don't think that I could ever drop enough weight to meet the Japanese specs, unless I get super slim. I'm 6' 2", so I can't see myself getting to the 170lb range.)

Archived