Dam......i Want That!

Skids

I'm looking at a Dam as well. Got a few questions for those who've gone down that road and pulled the cat.

• Does exhaust tone seem much different with the cat vs without? Definitely want a deeper exhaust note if possible.
  • I put an Arrow full system on my old Blackbird and lost the center stand in the process. Between losing 2 heavy cans, the stand, and the Ti head pipe vs stock, the bike weighed perhaps 25 or 30 lbs less and the lost lbs were all carried low. I could tell it raised cg in the bike pretty significantly and it felt less happy in really tight stuff afterwards. Between a can and losing the cat, how much weight is really coming of the big Viffer? Does this bike handle significantly different after doing both?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Can't answer your questions I'm afraid as I haven't removed the cat (yet).

I think the sound got louder and deeper when cat. was removed, do not have Dam exhaust.

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at a Dam as well. Got a few questions for those who've gone down that road and pulled the cat.

• Does exhaust tone seem much different with the cat vs without? Definitely want a deeper exhaust note if possible.
  • I put an Arrow full system on my old Blackbird and lost the center stand in the process. Between losing 2 heavy cans, the stand, and the Ti head pipe vs stock, the bike weighed perhaps 25 or 30 lbs less and the lost lbs were all carried low. I could tell it raised cg in the bike pretty significantly and it felt less happy in really tight stuff afterwards. Between a can and losing the cat, how much weight is really coming of the big Viffer? Does this bike handle significantly different after doing both?

Your Blackbird was designed 20 years ago. Not really applicable.

Exhaust note is a little deeper, how much I don't know. I didn't test with a DB meter. Biggest change will be with a slip-on. Perhaps a little deeper than a slip-on without the cat. Handling difference isn't anything substantial.

• Member Contributer

Haven't removed the cat either. Not sure I will TBH.

I'm on the fence regarding the de-cat. I'm sure it will sound more throaty and give slightly more performance. But removal job could be tricky and present some surprises. And I'm not sure if the Guhl reflash, which I plan to get, was configured for an exhaust without the cat--and if not if that will make a difference. I'll have to speak with Guhl about it.

Supposedly this pipe from a company in England makes it a bit easier:

https://www.jetex.co.uk/jetexstore/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=U905145R&_a=category

I got the model number from ZAWA who did the mod on his bike.

• Member Contributer

I'm on the fence regarding the de-cat. I'm sure it will sound more throaty and give slightly more performance. But removal job could be tricky and present some surprises. And I'm not sure if the Guhl reflash, which I plan to get, was configured for an exhaust without the cat--and if not if that will make a difference. I'll have to speak with Guhl about it.

https://www.jetex.co.uk/jetexstore/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=U905145R&_a=category

Slightly more performance, you are having a :laugh: aren't you, 10bhp is no :laugh:

I have

The DAM guys have a video on youtube comparing noise levels with a DB meter, but they don't have one with the cat removed.

I have a Dam with the cat removed and when I put it on a Db meter it registers.....

94Db with the sport baffle in.

96Db with no baffle.

Much smoother without the cat and you can feel the difference in power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My exhaust just rocked up this afternoon. Looking forward to getting it fitted and posting some pictures and also a video.

Excellent. Easy to fit so look forward to the pics. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Slightly more performance, you are having a :laugh: aren't you, 10bhp is no :laugh:

Wow. That's significant.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

So I just picked up a VFR1200 with a DAM exhaust, and it's a bit loud for my taste.  What does the DB Killer look like?  I'm guessing mine has been removed.

• Member Contributer

It looks like every other dB killer. Try contacting the company to obtain another....their CS was very good with me.

• Member Contributer

Here's the standard dB killer. I have the Sport fitted normally. Yr right, it might be considered a little loud with no dB killer at all (but a bloody beautiful noise!).

2nd pic is the Sport fitted to the can. You can see the bolt attaching it at the bottom.

IMAG0643.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

Archived