Assen, Any Suggestions ?

Mattie660

Ask Dutchy, he goes every year. The corners have gigantic burns to sit on for a good view. It is impossibly big though, so choose your spot carefully.

• Member Contributer

Will send you more details when home, but the main stand and -the best place to sit- the Geert Timmer chicane are already sold out.

But any place with be ok to sit...

Remember that the TT motogp is on a saturday.

World Superbike (more races, less cost) is the weekend of 18-19 april I think

Ps no TT or wsbk at Assen for me this year

• Member Contributer

Hello Mattie,

Have a look here http://www.ttcircuit.com/en/

so while you are "late" there will still be some tickets. Ideally you want a seat where you also have a view on one of the video walls so you "see" what's going on elsewhere.

This the GT

post-8974-0-88332800-1427442578.jpg

The chicane to last possibility before the chequered flag. seen many battles there, Fogerty/Chili, Edwards falling off etc.

But failing that, Assen will still be an event to attend and watch the bikes

fe8413d5.jpg

The TT is the largest single day sports event in the Netherlands, expect some 90,000 to show up on the day.

Hotels/B&B will be full though, but perhaps there is still room at one of the campsites.

Whislt not as crazy as in years gone past, the "Night of Assen" is still a good night in the town (so I'm told).

Last time I've been to Assen is some 10 years ago, prefer WSBK. TT became to expensive for too few races.

WSBK used to be in September but the circuit bosses thought it was a good idea to bring some shit american car racing over and move WSBK to April.

That car racing was no success but they never moved WSB back to September. That slot is now for a round of British Superbike...

April means that you could wake up to some frost on your bike....

cold_zpsce5a0c21.jpg

IMAG1874_zpsa36f9b79.jpg

Make WSBK a weekend and attend the training etc on Friday/Saturday. You get to wander all over the place

e40b0cc0.jpg

The town is pretty tame during WSBK, not what it used to be anyway...

post-8974-0-86332200-1427442581.jpg

There's always a chance of rain (be it April or June....)

d2e0cd76.jpg

But plenty to see to warm a man....

fad82ef2.jpg

Tickets booked - Ossenbroeken stand for the Saturday race.

You are right some were already sold out, and if you hadn't have mentioned it I might have delayed a bit too long and missed out - so thanks.

By chance I found out today that an old friend of mine is going as well, with some others. So will see them there, which will be cool. They will be watching from the hill or something, so not sure if I will be with them or in the stands.

I want to camp, but from memory Holland is full of campsites, and it is only a small country, so I am sure I will find something.

Cool - going to Assen ! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Yes Holland is full of campsites, but ideally you'd want one close to the track so you can walk over.

Quite a few farmers have camping spots for the weekend, including a beertent...

But you must reserve a spot, donot expect to simply show up and find a spot to camp.

Like I said, the crowds are large...

• Member Contributer

I've camped with the Asser boys.

Well organised setup, showers, beer tent and they do fried eggs breakfast

ontbijt_zpsa3517e34.jpg

Thanks for the links and the suggestions - one of them is indoor camping !

I like the look of the fried eggs - last trip to Holland I remember Crocketen ? and they never put milk in their tea.

Thanks for letting me know just how busy it gets, which has jolted me into getting everything booked. Otherwise I might have let it pass a bit longer and missed out.

Dank u wel !

• 3 months later...

You were right about the last chicane.

I see a few comments about Assen qualifying and others on this forum were there also !

A few comments then from what I learned, just for the record in case someone looks it up.

Stayed at a campsite called Camping De Weyert near Assen - a few bikes and groups of bikes - but we did not take over the place. There were other non bike campers, very quiet really, and they did a breakfast for those going to the racing - top campsite, very helpful and in a little town a couple of miles outside Assen.

Left the bike at the campsite and went to the circuit by bus, on race day. Catch a little local bus into Assen train station, and then get one of the many free buses that are lined up six deep taking people to the circuit. Total travel costs there and back - about $10 max (peanuts), and the bus has its own lane to the circuit, so bypasses all the traffic, and you are there in no time - brilliant recommend it.

At the circuit, walked all around during practise and qualifying, and thought the best viewing was at the Raamshoek, as the riders come down a bit of a straight and tip it in to a sweeping left - poetry in motion.

The end bit of the Raamshoek it is popular with spectators with long camera lenses, I called it photographers' corner - they may ask you to move a bit if you stand right in front of them. But it is a great place to watch them tip it in to a sweeping left hander, really quite close to where you are standing. Great loved that corner.

I wouldn't choose Ossebroken Tribune again, a bit removed from the action, and probably the reason why it was not one of the first to sell out, but among the last to sell out.

Anyway, loved the whole thing. The gradual build up, the masses of bikes at petrol stations as you get closer, you pull into any petrol station it seems, and the place will be full of bikes. Lots of sports bikes with little tail packs and little rucksacks, and the riders in full leathers - all heading to the gig. Police bikes and radar of course !

Picture taken at the Raamshoek with a standard camera lens, during Free Practice:

19007118173_77a5a13421_o.jpgMarc Marquez by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Archived