Fan

curtis

When I shut down the bike, and temp reads 224f, should the fan be running?

Not sure if fan is supposed to run with motor off (ignition on)or not, my FJR does.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Not commonly, AFAIK. Luckily there are only 4 possible culprits.

In order of things I would check:

1. The fan fuse

2. The ignition switch (This also checks all wiring supplying +12v to fan)

- With the switch in the ON position (engine can be off) disconnect the fan connector and measure voltage between the Black/Blue wire and chassis ground

- Reading should be 12V or more, depending if the engine is running

3. The fan ground switch - senses coolant temperature and provides ground to fan above the temperature threshold

- To check this, get bike up to fan switch temperature 220 (someone correct me if this is the wrong temp)

- Measure resistance between fan switch wire connection terminal (there is only one) and vehicle chassis

- Reading should be low, certainly below 1k ohms. If the switch is bad, it will probably read open (or OL or inf) depending what kind of meter is being used

4. Wiring and grounds

- Hopefully we don't have to go this far

- Report back if it is not #1-3

If you start test 3 with everything hooked up and the fan turns on, then the previous issue was a 1 time fluke or an intermittent fault which will be considerably more difficult to diagnose.

• Member Contributer

Be sure to check that the fan can spin freely.

Is this a new bike to you? Some have installed a dedicated switch to run the fan whenever they choose. Perhaps a previous owner has done this?

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info.

I cannot hear the fan with engine running.

But good news, this morning I fired her up and let idle half choked until up to temp. When temp reached 218f it started dropping quickly back down to 205ish. I killed the motor and the fan WAS running. Still not 100% sure why it wasnt running at 224f yesterday after my ride. I may have turned off the key then back on, dont remember for sure and dont know,if that would make difference.

Anyway I will keep an eye on it. I do like the idea of a manual fan switch.

• Member Contributer

I recall that the fan would come on with the ignition off after a spirited ride in summer.

I ride a 4th gen.

• Member Contributer

With the fairings off could you short across the temp switch and see if the fan comes on? With key on of course.

• Member Contributer

I do like the idea of a manual fan switch.

I'm very happy with mine - lets me manage the temps much better in traffic.

Archived