Front End Chatter, Angel St

PhotoOp

Hi all,

I know its an older tire but they last well so I haven't worn them off just yet.

I am getting a pretty severe front end chatter under braking on anything but very smooth positively cambered corner entries. Its worse if the corner is downhill, and worse on a full tank so Im thinking that this tire doesn't agree with heavy front end loading. One more thing, they didn't do it when brand new, started at about 40% wear.

I am about half way through this front, but the rear is a little farther along. I had originally planned to replace the just the rear and get the full tread depth out of the front but now Im thinking maybe just a new set all around. Either the Angel GT (although if they chatter as bad as the ST id be pretty miserable) or a set of PR4s. Never had this problem on rossos, Q2s, Metzlers, or bridgestones. Brakes are in fine condition, suspension is fresh and setup well for my weight, stock forks with straight rate springs and custom valving. fresh, smooth tapered bearings last year, no play, no other problems.

Anyone else have a chatter like this on this tire? thought about posting in the tires forum but figured id get more 5th gen views here. thanks everyone.

• Member Contributer

I used to get about 3 rears to 2 front replacement ratio with my Angel STs on my 5th gen... last ones I had I finished up with a AGT on the rear and rode the ST front until smooth on the mid-shoulders (tire profile 2.2, 0.0, 2.1, 0.0, 2.4 in mm). I like to weight my front tire and tend to ride enthusiastically :P

The only time I had chatter was hard trail braking into corners with less than ideal surfaces... kinda expected it, so didn't think it was the tires.

Have you aligned your forks? Someone had a good simple how to post on here that and really helped my old Yamaha...

Yeah Its defiantly more noticeable on bad surfaces but it sure seems to be way worse than on other tires Ive had. I'm wondering if PR4s would react any better or if this is just a function of me needing to ease up on a touring tire.

• Member Contributer

Yeah Its defiantly more noticeable on bad surfaces

Well then - if it's being defiant, give it a sound thrashing and whip it back into submission.

NZ,

tires are black, not one of the 50 shades of grey.........

:beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

I mentioned the fork alignment since you have relatively new tapered bearings... although, my first thought was the head bearings, have you checked them to ensure they haven't loosened up?

If everything is tight and good is it possible that you are really stressing the front end grip and getting flex & release of the front forks?

Yeah Its defiantly more noticeable on bad surfaces but it sure seems to be way worse than on other tires Ive had. I'm wondering if PR4s would react any better or if this is just a function of me needing to ease up on a touring tire.

I ride pretty hard and have worn out several sets of Angel STs and now two sets of GTs, which last longer for sure, and I have never experienced chatter. These tires outperform my abilities and courage to push them to the limit. Not sure any of this helps, but when my fairly new set wears out I will be putting on another set.

Yeah, I really really hate autocorrect.

Rush: yes, forks are aligned, and bearing is tight. worked through all that stuff the first time it chattered. everything was great then as well. I tried a little lower pressure and was able to change the chatter so my current best guess is that I'm just feeling a characteristic of a stiffer sport touring carcas when pushed.

Looking at the date codes, these sat on the shelf about a year before I got them and have been on the bike for a little while now so it seems reasonable that Im just feeling the grip fall off a bit as the tire wears and ages. My front end heavy setup and general deep braking riding style probably don't help either.

Thanks for the input everyone

Archived