Ecu Location

crakerjac

I tried searching, but apparently, "ECU" is an invalid search term on VFRD.

On the 1200, where exactly is the ECU located. I know its under the tank somewhere in the vicinity of the air filter. Do I need to remove the velocity stacks and bottom of the air box to access the ECU?

I've seen pictures/videos on how to remove the fairings and lift the tank (and I've removed the LH fairing myself for a quartet harness). But I cant seem to find anything that shows any sort of detail any farther than "here is the air filter" and "here is an ECU already removed from the bike". I am trying to figure out how involved it's going to be to remove the ECU and send it off to Don Guhl, because the more I pull apart, the more I'm going to have to remember (how it all goes back together) a week later.

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with the 1200's components. However, if you want to search VFRD, I recommend using Google. In the Google search box type this:

site: www.vfrdiscussion.com ecu 1200

The "site:" command confines the Google search to whatever website you type and then the content you're looking for. You will get other results further down, but the ones at the top will be what you're looking for from this site. I never use the forum search function - just Google.

You'll get a bunch of threads about re-flashing the 1200 ECU. If you post in those or PM some of the participants, someone will likely guide you or send you a photo.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

You have to lift and support the gas tank and in the forward position on the air filter assembly you will find the Ecu. You have to release the ignition switch which will be obvious and then pull out the Ecu enough to see the connectors which need to be disconnected (they are color coded blue, black & gray). Just put back in reverse order.

So I don't need to pull the velocity stacks or the bottom of the air box? Once I'm at the air filter (which I'm replacing while I'm at it) I'm there and I just need to release a few connectors?

@Cogswell, I tried that, but since there are (have been) so many topics on ECU flashing, it was tough to weed through all the junk. I thought the original ECU flash thread had some good pictures, but I couldn't find it... The whole thread was deleted IIRC.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

does it have those crazy Honda electrical connectors on it that are really hard to release ???

Will do Jigsaw!

How much should I insure the ECU for? I've seen a couple websites that sell 1200 ECUs for $2400, but that seems high.

• Member Contributer

Will do Jigsaw!

How much should I insure the ECU for? I've seen a couple websites that sell 1200 ECUs for $2400, but that seems high.

The ECU cost is $1600 from one of the many online outfits. Insure it for that. IIRC, it fits pretty sturdy into a small flat rate box from USPS. Use shipping/packing tape, and literally cover the entire box. You want to ship it so it could be dropped from a 2nd story building and survive the fall. So you may want to use a medium flate rate box, instead, and use foam/peanuts. Me, I just insured it, and used the smaller box. These sized packages and USPS I don't fear damage. UPS is another matter. Avoid them like the plague.

the tank is hinged on a bolt at the rear, under the seat...tip it up, slip a 2x4 between airbox and tank...if it's really full it may leak past the gas cap

Uugh... $5 to ship a $0.50 part...

Oh boy oh boy...order at least 10pcs cuz you will need them again next time you do something. I usually keep 10pcs each clip around.

Thanks for the help guys... Just found out that the shop ordered me a Bikemaster air filter (similar to a K&N) instead of an OEM filter... I'm going to have to try and get my money back on Tuesday when they open so I can order the correct part (myself).

I can't wait to get everything back together.

• 10 months later...

You have to lift and support the gas tank and in the forward position on the air filter assembly you will find the Ecu. You have to release the ignition switch which will be obvious and then pull out the Ecu enough to see the connectors which need to be disconnected (they are color coded blue, black & gray). Just put back in reverse order.

OK, I guess I'm just dumb. What is meant by "release the ignition switch", because it's not obvious to me. I have no clue what the ECU looks like do if something is in front of it I'll never find it.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

All I had to do was post a question and look ignorant so I could figure it out myself. It's the bigger black rectangle and the red plug must be the ignition switch.

The 3 plugs on the bottom of the ECU are a bitch to get off!

Here is a picture for anyone like me who may need it in the future:

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

6cf1e217c012f9530c1524c4535c0cba.jpg

All I had to do was post a question and look ignorant so I could figure it out myself. It's the bigger black rectangle and the red plug must be the ignition switch.

The 3 plugs on the bottom of the ECU are a bitch to get off!

I'd like to tell you getting them back on there is easier... I found that each plug has a different amount of slack... Start with the plug with the most slack.

Archived