Front Wheel Spindle

Skids

• Member Contributer

Had to remove the front wheel tonight to access the front fender to attach the extender.

Question...how do you remove the front wheel spindle? On the Fi/Vtec, it sticks out one end and you can insert a screwdriver and pull it through but the 1200 has a flush spindle, so other than drifting it out with a hammer, is there a better way? And how would you manage by the roadside?

Thanks.

Hi. I've got a vfr1200. What I do is loosen the spindle nut off until it is only on by a few thread. Undo the spindle pinch bolts and then use the nut to push the spindle out. When it is out far enough there is a hole through the spindle you can put a screw drive through.

ditto. The shop manuel calls for tapeing the rim and the reason is you've got to wiggle the wheel side to side a bit to lossen the pads. Careful or you'll bang the rotors on the rim.

Bang the calipers against the rims. I just changed my tire and didn't know why the manual wanted the rim taped till I tried removing the rim and the bolt removed calipers hit.

• Member Contributer

Doh! Should have thought of using the spindle nut. Stood there for ages trying figure a way of pulling it through.

Thanks guys.

• Member Contributer

Why did you not just remove the mudguard, to fit the extender fender. certainly a lot easier.

I wanted it held in place whilst the glue dried. That and I haven't taken any part of the bike apart yet and I wanted to see what the process was.

Archived