Pilot Road 4 Gt On My 4Th Gen

Alhazred

I picked up a low km take off set of PR4s for dirt cheap and didn't realize until after that the gt version is for a heavier bike. What do you guys think? Should I sell or trade them off for a more appropriate set or just try them out? I don't ride very aggressively as my current set of pilot roads with 20,000+ km will tell you. Maybe I'll just throw them on there and if I don't like feel I'll ditch them...

• Member Contributer

I say ride a few hundred km and see how they work. Although they are meant for heavier bikes, the stiffer sidewall might not even be noticeable.

• Member Contributer

where did you get them for dirt cheap??? I've got a PR 4 gt on my 94 and they seem to work pretty good, but if your pushing them hard you can get the rear to step out.

How much do you weigh yerself?

I weigh 230+ all geared up,that will go down a bit in the warmer months.

where did you get them for dirt cheap??? I've got a PR 4 gt on my 94 and they seem to work pretty good, but if your pushing them hard you can get the rear to step out.

I got them from a guy selling used tires at an automotive flea market,paid 90 bucks for them. That's good to hear,I won't be pushing them really hard so I'll just use them.

Thanks guys.

• Member Contributer

The 4th gen ain't no featherweight, neither are you (no insult intended), so the stiffer sidewall of a gt will get to do what it is designed for.

No sweat.

230 - that would certainly justify GT's.

I only weigh in at 95 and think that is working a 750 with standard PR's hard enough.

I think the VFR750 were around 215 dry so they are not in the weight range of the newer sports bikes.

• Member Contributer

Is there some pounds/kilograms confusion going on?

• Member Contributer

Don't think so, 104 kilo is not lightweight (but not too beaucoup either..)

Is there some pounds/kilograms confusion going on?

There may have been,since officially Canada is a metric country it would be easy to assume I meant kg. Never in my life though,have I heard anyone refer to their weight in kg.

Ha ha ha ha, in the penal colony here we only use kg for body weight.

I couldn't understand the angst over GT's with a 230 kg rider.

This brightened up my day.

Glad your not 230kg, that would be very uncomfortable.

• Member Contributer

At least it's just a tire discussion and not an attempt at a Mars orbiter...

At least it's just a tire discussion and not an attempt at a Mars orbiter...

But on Mars you only weigh in at 38% of what you do (here) on Earth. :goofy:

To TS: I am of the belief that putting a GT tyre on a bike that doesn't need it quite allright. But putting a non-GT tyre on a heavy bike that needs it is not very recommended.

• Member Contributer

You are fine. Like Timm said its ok to put a GT on a lighter bike, but not put the standard Road 4s on a heavier bike like a VFR 1200/ Kaw 1400/ BMW K1600.

Archived