Tank Breather

mikmcd

I'm a new owner of a 2014 VFR800F.

I've noticed that a vacuum seems to form in the tank - sometimes really hard to open the filler cap due to the suction.

I assume there must be some kind of tank breather, but can anyone tell me if it is in the filler cap or somewhere else. I see there are what appear to be three breather pipes just behind the left footpeg and wondered if there might be a kink in the pipe. I don't want to start pulling of plastics if the problem is with the filler cap.

I had a similar problem years ago, but that was with a carb'd bike, and gravity feed. Once the pressure got low enough the bike just stopped - it turned out that the end of the breather was blocked with road dirt.

• Member Contributer

Hi mikmcd and welcome.

Hope you get that sorted soon. You could always take it back to the dealer that appeared to cause the problem.

Hi mikmcd and welcome.

Hope you get that sorted soon. You could always take it back to the dealer that appeared to cause the problem.

Thanks - I probably will, but I always like to get to the root of a problem myself first. I have a pretty stubborn nature and hate to be beaten.

I haven't used the bike much thanks to our foul weather - haven't even had first service yet. Hoping to do a bit of touring in the spring, so want to get any niggles sorted out before then.

Archived