Givi Topcase Security?

Corey

Givi 257FZ rack and M5 Monokey plate.

I followed the instructions, but maybe I somehow got the installation wrong.

After attaching the M5 Monokey plate to the 257FZ rack...the nuts are underneath the plate and can easily be untightened/removed to lift and steal the whole topcase.

Is there another more secure option for mounting the Monokey plate?

Are the nuts supposed to be underneath like that?

Try to unscrew them.

What you will find is once they are loose the hex head bolt will start to spin freely.

The nut should be a nylon lock nut. It won't come off if there isn't a wrench on the bolt.

Always remember, locking luggage is only enough to deter a lazy thief and keep honest people honest. An old style sharpened can opener would cut through hard luggage with no problems.

ancient_opener.jpg

If you are worried about luggage being stolen, take them inside if possible!

edited to add picture

Just about to order the givi rack and monokey plate now, was it difficult to install?

The installation was straight forward. Just don't tighten everything down until it is all connected to the bike. And when you tighten it, do a little at a time alternating between each piece.

One caveat...

I see you've already read it, but you might want to revisit my contributions to this post regarding drilling the left support bracket (Part17) to fit the bottle-nosed spacer (Part 8) correctly.

5Th Gen Givi Monorack Install Question

• Member Contributer

if you are really worried about it.. this is my " BE SURE YOU HAVE IT WHERE YOU WANT IT" METHOD,

change the hardware to allen button heads..

install the button heads from the out side.. use lock tight on the nets.. shave excess bolt off..

fill in the allen key "hole" with jb weld and place tape over it until it hardens.. paint the head black to match the rack..

yep! time consuming for anyone to remove it..

• Member Contributer

Always remember, locking luggage is only enough to deter a lazy thief and keep honest people honest. An old style sharpened can opener would cut through hard luggage with no problems.

ancient_opener.jpg

If you are worried about luggage being stolen, take them inside if possible!

edited to add picture

+1

I did the reverse install on mine, cutting the excess off and JB weld on the head.

If they want it bad enough it will disappear, but at least I know it won't fall off at 128 mph.

I figure it's secure enough to leave on the bike while getting lunch.

But not enough to leave on the bike overnight outside a motel. :wink:

Archived