Bike Crash Protectors

JakeWright

Hi

I'm looking into getting some crash protectors for my VFR, I know no matter what I do I'm not going to stop damage occurring if I have a high/low side at speed so its more of if the bike gets knocked over whilst parked or I drop it whilst pushing it. So when I get paid next Friday I'm getting some R&G fork protectors and R&G swingarm protectors. Now I have a few questions about protecting the tail, fairings and bars/levers.

1. I want something that will protect the fairings, I don't really want to go the R&G crash bobbins route because it involves cutting holes unless there is somewhere else I can mount them. What other options do I have which doesn't involve drilling or cutting?

2. I came across some MotoGP style bar ends which also protect the brake and clutch levers, are they worth getting? These things:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Moto-GP-Lever-Guard-Protectors-Front-Brake-Clutch-Set-Pair-Black-/131053720404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e83691354

With the above link I could probably make my own at a fraction of the cost and would be stronger as the above are aluminium and plastic.

3. Is there anything I can do to protect the tail? It seems no-one makes protectors for the tail or is it I'm looking in the wrong place?

Yoyodyne is selling the "Euro Racing" kit for the 6th gen for only $69... I believe in frame mounted sliders after a multitude of crashes... I really like the design (aluminum base with a threaded mushroom head slider. I ended up installing them on my fifth gen with a couple of 25mm spacers and one new bolt... I think they're good quality and an excellent bargain.

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=E80143

IMG_0696.jpg

Im not sure who makes these but they were on my bike when I got it. They stick out far enough that I believe they would do what you are looking for. When I first got the bike, I hated them because I was always bumping my leg on them but it didnt take log to get accustomed to them being there and now they dont bother me at all. Here is a couple of pictures I had on the computer. One from another project and one of my gal trying out the seat.

post-28936-0-98605100-1422802050.jpg

post-28936-0-26504400-1422802058.jpg

I fitted the R& G ones and drilled the fairings, to be honest once they are fitted i as always gonna leave them on anyway and they will definitely stop damage, some of the cheap ones i heard horror stores about like bent frames and crushed radiators

Good luck with your choice anyway

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Im not sure who makes these but they were on my bike when I got it. They stick out far enough that I believe they would do what you are looking for. When I first got the bike, I hated them because I was always bumping my leg on them but it didnt take log to get accustomed to them being there and now they dont bother me at all. Here is a couple of pictures I had on the computer. One from another project and one of my gal trying out the seat.

I have the same set on the bike I bought back in the fall. The PO had a very minor low speed low side and the slider did a pretty good job. There were some scuffs on the plastic, but no cracks. All said, they worked well. I added a set of R&G sliders as an extra piece of mind and for better protection higher and more forward.

I'm not sure who makes the lower sliders you (and I) have, but I suspect these are them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-Slider-m8-G-for-Honda-CBR-600RR-900RR-954RR-F4-F4i-NSR-VFR-400-250-750-/311199821878?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&var=&hash=item4874f47036&vxp=mtr

Archived