Saddlemen Seat Cover And Foam

Conedodger

• Member Contributer

They have a replacement cover and foam kit for the OEM seat. Two materials and two foam shapes available. (Either material can be ordered with your foam choice.) Does anyone have experience with these kits?

http://www.saddlemen.com/honda/vf-vfr-series

Saddlemen’s Performance Seat Kits include specially shaped foam with GEL and a custom-crafted vinyl cover that mounts easily to the motorcycle’s original seat pan.

Sport foam with Carbon Fiber look vinyl cover

0910-H002J-800x800.jpg

Touring foam with suede/vinyl cover

0910-H002JTS-800x800.jpg

• Member Contributer

Interesting... I'm looking into this option. They have both styles for 5th gens also.

Thanks for the info!!!

• Member Contributer

I was looking for something like this but couldn't find it, so I tore apart my stock seat . Still need to get a cover made.

IMG 00000735

IMG 00000734

IMG 00000733

I can't find any pictures of the saddlemen for a 5th gen. If it was as comfortable as a Sargent for $165 that would be a bargain.

• Member Contributer

.... Appears that Saddlemen and Travelcade are the same. Merger?

What are you basing that statement on? I didn't see anything on the website indicating that relationship.

Mine was starting to look a bit tired and manky, so I bought a cover off TradeMe (local equivalent of Ebay, I guess), added some extra foam, bought a staplegun (because I couldn't get suitable staples for my pneumatic one), and Bob's yer auntie. Cost me not much at all, but does the job.

• Member Contributer

.... Appears that Saddlemen and Travelcade are the same. Merger?

What are you basing that statement on? I didn't see anything on the website indicating that relationship.

There are several wesites that use both names. I thought Travelcade was a separate company. Maybe they merged? Maybe Travelcade is a subdivision?

http://www.sporttour.com/products/c363-Saddlemen-Travelcade-Motorcycle-Seats/

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the heads up Conedodger... I ordered the touring seat ($122) with the waterproof suede and vinyl cover (it has the intermediate grip level); according to the websites CF look vinyl is the slickest seat material with textured being the grippiest and the suede is intermediate grip.

...also picked up the Factory Pro Tuning EVO Star Shift Kit for $168 and got free shipping and zero tax.

EDIT: ... hope I get my order and the right parts :unsure2:

• Member Contributer

Based on what I'm reading on the product pages, these are "kits", which means you need an existing seat pan to mount the foam and tack the cover to, is that correct?

• Member Contributer

Based on what I'm reading on the product pages, these are "kits", which means you need an existing seat pan to mount the foam and tack the cover to, is that correct?

That is my understanding.

Yea i spent a good while trying to decide what to get. My passengers would complain about longer trips so i figured touring was the way to go since comfort is always priority and the rider seat looks similar in both sport and touring foam so i figured tour was best value in that aspect. (looks good as well since i lost my pillion seat cover as well)

For the material used i wanted the best durability so i went with the carbon fiber look weave pattern as the website description lists it as element resistant which holds up to extreme heat/cold. Its not as grippy supposedly but thats what tank grips are for right? Once it arrives and my wrist heals i will know for sure

The suede description on website just lists it as element resistant so i opted for the CF variant although the suede does look more comfier by the pictures

• Member Contributer

Yea i spent a good while trying to decide what to get. My passengers would complain about longer trips so i figured touring was the way to go since comfort is always priority and the rider seat looks similar in both sport and touring foam so i figured tour was best value in that aspect. (looks good as well since i lost my pillion seat cover as well)

For the material used i wanted the best durability so i went with the carbon fiber look weave pattern as the website description lists it as element resistant which holds up to extreme heat/cold. Its not as grippy supposedly but thats what tank grips are for right? Once it arrives and my wrist heals i will know for sure

The suede description on website just lists it as element resistant so i opted for the CF variant although the suede does look more comfier by the pictures

My Sargent has CF vinyl and it has held up well. Can be slippery with textile pants. I don't ride 2-up and still use the cowl, so I'm leaning towards the sport cut. However, my cowl has been modified to fit the Sargent and may not fit the sport. My Sargent is comfortable for commuting and short rides, but gets to me on long days. Maybe I should try the tour cut.

• Member Contributer

Oh boy... I'm a little nervous about my order with Moto Part Hub. I should have done my research up front... the Moto Part Hub website has some negative reviews and complaints relating to not receiving orders, wrong parts, and poor customer service. Store looks like a cinder block storage unit and reports are that the store doesn't stock what they sell, just drop ships from different manufacturers. I hope I didn't just waste $300 to try to save $40.

I did cross reference the part numbers on my order with the manufacturers websites to ensure correct fitment so hopefully it won't be an issue. Be aware, on the MotoPartHub website they will list multiple seats for the VFR800, you need to cross reference the manufacturers part number to ensure it is for a 5th gen or 6th gen. The filter does not work well on the website.

FYI - the suede in the suede & vinyl cover of the Saddleman seat is not leather suede... it is vinyl with a suede look/texture and weather resistant.

• Member Contributer

Oh boy... I'm a little nervous about my order with Moto Part Hub. I should have done my research up front... the Moto Part Hub website has some negative reviews and complaints relating to not receiving orders, wrong parts, and poor customer service. Store looks like a cinder block storage unit and reports are that the store doesn't stock what they sell, just drop ships from different manufacturers. I hope I didn't just waste $300 to try to save $40.

I did cross reference the part numbers on my order with the manufacturers websites to ensure correct fitment so hopefully it won't be an issue. Be aware, on the MotoPartHub website they will list multiple seats for the VFR800, you need to cross reference the manufacturers part number to ensure it is for a 5th gen or 6th gen. The filter does not work well on the website.

FYI - the suede in the suede & vinyl cover of the Saddleman seat is not leather suede... it is vinyl with a suede look/texture and weather resistant.

Hope things turn out OK. I noticed the website didn't make it easy to figure out which seat kit you are looking at. Like you, I had to go to the Saddlemen website for part numbers.

• Member Contributer

Just received 2/3 of my order from MotoPartHub.com... came from Edge Xtreme Sports in Waukeegan, IL. Parts # match the manufacturers websites and looks correct. Once I get to installing I will know for sure... but, so far Kudos to MPH for getting me most of my parts quickly and accurately... still waiting on my Factory Pro Evo Shift Star.

post-19432-0-70488300-1422392240.jpg

post-19432-0-63730700-1422392246.jpg

• Member Contributer

You are 100% correct- they are a drop shipper, and don't stock any more than what you see listed on their site. If you want a good price they are always very price competitive, but you may have to wait a bit for your order.

Im curious to see how your seat turns out as I am looking at doing the same.

• Member Contributer

Just received 2/3 of my order from MotoPartHub.com... came from Edge Xtreme Sports in Waukeegan, IL. Parts # match the manufacturers websites and looks correct. Once I get to installing I will know for sure... but, so far Kudos to MPH for getting me most of my parts quickly and accurately... still waiting on my Factory Pro Evo Shift Star.

I'm more interested in the pillion comfort, as my wife does not like the stock or Sargent seats. Thinking I might might do this for grins and see if it's any better. Post up as soon as you can I'm really eager to find something decent and affordable.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I'm more interested in the pillion comfort, as my wife does not like the stock or Sargent seats. Thinking I might might do this for grins and see if it's any better. Post up as soon as you can I'm really eager to find something decent and affordable.

Cheers

By feel the foam and gel seems like a significant improvement over stock... but, no one sits on the hands while riding!

• Member Contributer

By feel the foam and gel seems like a significant improvement over stock... but, no one sits on the hands while riding!

I did once but it didn't go too well! :goofy: Very true what they say about counter steering!

Cheers

Have you tried a sheep skin cover for the passenger seat? Ladies love the airflow & warmth of sheep skin. I bought a rug from Costco and cut out a piece for the seat.

• Member Contributer

Cheers

Have you tried a sheep skin cover for the passenger seat? Ladies love the airflow & warmth of sheep skin. I bought a rug from Costco and cut out a piece for the seat.

It's mostly the shape and somewhat the slope of the seat that is the core of her discomfort. We've actually tried an Airhawk seat cushion, which improved the "cushioning" comfort, but then the slope was then more a factor. The seat kit looks like the pillion is more wide and less sloped than the stock and Sargent seats, so if the cushioning is better too, then I'm in for sure.

• Member Contributer

Glad to see they came through. Looks like you ordered the suede cover. What are your opinions of it? Easy to clean? Will it hold up well to sun and rain?

Archived