Winter Mods

motorn

Too light to be a sumotori. How about a Ninja....no then you'd have to ride a Cow/Kaw. You must be a Samurai on Mr. Honda's steel horse.

Update on your shield use when the snow permits.

Swapped out my Puig for the ZG Dub Bub and haven't had an issue since. Great screen, and I'm 6'2"

They sure do their job but I don't like the look of it. For me it completely ruins the vfr1200 appearance..

Too light to be a sumotori. How about a Ninja....no then you'd have to ride a Cow/Kaw. You must be a Samurai on Mr. Honda's steel horse.

Update on your shield use when the snow permits.

I want to try the highest screen setting today, when the weather is good.

• Member Contributer

Swapped out my Puig for the ZG Dub Bub and haven't had an issue since. Great screen, and I'm 6'2"

They sure do their job but I don't like the look of it. For me it completely ruins the vfr1200 appearance..

I mod my bike to ride it hard through corners, not for photo shoots or to sit on a stool in the garage staring at it. Nobody can tell its you with a helmet on anyways.

Or the lowest. I ride with a Puig for the cooler months around here, but I switch back to the stock screen for summer riding. Not only do I get more air flow to my torso, the lower stock screen also allows smoother airflow to hit my helmet. I noticed that riding a naked bike like my S3R is actually quieter at normal freeway speeds than bikes with sportbike-style fairings, which typically sends deflected and turbulent airflow right at the rider's upper torso and/or helmet.

I find that with the stock screen, the deflected air hit my torso at a lower point, so by the time it gets up to my helmet, it is closer to direct & undeflected air flow - more like what I get with a naked bike.

Personally, I don't like riding in a bubble of still air. That's just not what motorcycling is about.

I mod my bike to ride it hard through corners, not for photo shoots or to sit on a stool in the garage staring at it. Nobody can tell its you with a helmet on anyways.

I ride my motorcycle as I want to and I would never buy any vehicle which is not in my type. Both factors are important to me.

As it goes with your motorcycle mr. racer - do whatever you want to :tour:

Or the lowest. I ride with a Puig for the cooler months around here, but I switch back to the stock screen for summer riding. Not only do I get more air flow to my torso, the lower stock screen also allows smoother airflow to hit my helmet. I noticed that riding a naked bike like my S3R is actually quieter at normal freeway speeds than bikes with sportbike-style fairings, which typically sends deflected and turbulent airflow right at the rider's upper torso and/or helmet.

I find that with the stock screen, the deflected air hit my torso at a lower point, so by the time it gets up to my helmet, it is closer to direct & undeflected air flow - more like what I get with a naked bike.

Personally, I don't like riding in a bubble of still air. That's just not what motorcycling is about.

This is the main advantage of this screen extension - on the lowest setting its exactly as the stock screen - middle and high setting gives you more protection

and you can change it whenever you want - cant beat that, effortless I might add.

I have the same feeling while riding my v-maxes - they seem to go smother in the lower speeds.

This was THE BIG selling point for me. Coming from naked bikes, I didn't like how fairings deflected turbulent air into my helmet. The VFR deflects just enough to be comfortable stock with NO turbulence.

i have the Zero G SR shield which is the stock bend(dark smoke color is worth the price)...it makes a nice pocket...there's something sorta Steve McQueen cool about getting your head bounced around on my un faired Valkyrie but the VFR is just right...not a bubble, but not turbulent

• Member Contributer

I'm likely to get a touring screen that still directs airflow at my chest, but is high enough for me to hide behind in the rain.

Touring screen on my Sprint was perfect, and it was a bit higher than the VFR. Tough to find that happy medium, but riding in the rain makes one appreciate the "bubble" you don't necessarily want when riding on a clear, dry day.

- Dan

I tried a ZG Sport Touring screen when I first got the VFR1200. Originally, I intended for that to be my cooler weather screen and the Puig my summer screen. Turns out the ZG ST screen works very well... actually a bit too well for my taste. I find that it blocks too much wind for 5'7" frame. It will probably be perfect for a taller rider and/or a rider that prefers better wind protection. Guys up north who ride in cold weather probably would appreciate it better.

This summer, I'll probably get an SR screen to replace the stock, which is getting scratchy and yellow.

• Member Contributer

I tried a ZG Sport Touring screen when I first got the VFR1200. Originally, I intended for that to be my cooler weather screen and the Puig my summer screen. Turns out the ZG ST screen works very well... actually a bit too well for my taste. I find that it blocks too much wind for 5'7" frame. It will probably be perfect for a taller rider and/or a rider that prefers better wind protection. Guys up north who ride in cold weather probably would appreciate it better.

This summer, I'll probably get an SR screen to replace the stock, which is getting scratchy and yellow.

Had a Givi screen installed on the 2010 VFR1200 shortly after I bought it but wondered if I should have stuck with OEM screen. The Givi screen created a dead air pocket but felt like it put more stress on my wrists because of the lack of wind resistence. Have removed the Givi screen this winter and installed a ZG SR in a smoke finish. I did this after trading notes with a fellow VFRD member in Winnipeg who is my height (6ft) and said it worked perfectly for directing the air slightly into his chest and over the helmet. Probably another couple of weeks before the weather is decent here so looking forward to the result. Also had the Guhl flash done this winter so will see what that brings as well.

Archived