Clutch Fluid

ericlw

I noticed my clutch fluid has turned dark again and has brown gunk all over the inside of the resivor. I rebuilt the piston and new rubber bladder on the handle bar once before. The brake fluid doesn't seem to have this issue and just turns light brown. Anyone experienced this?

• Member Contributer

How long before you change fluid? Nothing to do but take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

I think the clutch fluid goes bad faster than the brake fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

I flushed mine not to long ago. Did it at the same time as I did the brakes too. Noticed it was really dark and nasty. Had this think nasty crap in the bottom of it that I cleaned out with a q-tip. Guess they just get dirty faster.

• Member Contributer

Well, the clutch gets used about 10 times as often as the brake so it makes sense~

+1 And each clutch application is a long stroke of the piston!

I noticed my clutch fluid has turned dark again and has brown gunk all over the inside of the resivor. I rebuilt the piston and new rubber bladder on the handle bar once before. The brake fluid doesn't seem to have this issue and just turns light brown. Anyone experienced this?

The trick is to keep flushing the resovior every few months, that way when your post 100,000 miles its still mint. But the lines on a new bike break down somewhat internally, that will stop and then you only need to flush the res once or twice per year . But the key is getting ahead of it in the beginning.

If its really bad you may need to do a flush of the system, I've only done a full flush once at 2,000 miles, and I had brown sludge in the res that early.

Im going to flush mine one night this week i think.

I've only owned the bike about 6 months but its 12 year old, 19k miles on the clock and as far as i know it might never have been changed.

So im gonna do the clutch and brake fluid in stages as i get chance. No rush as i dont ride when the weathers like this anyway

Archived