Muffler Removed - Options For Shorty's?

tucsondog

• Member Contributer

Hi there!

Short version:
Pulled the mufflers to clean, started bike, loved "raw" sound, want shorty option thoughts/opinions.
Bike:
2004 VFR800ABS Interceptor.

Long version:
The exhaust was showing some signs of surface rust and a bit of browning, so I pulled it off and polished it up (looks great btw). For a lark, I started the bike sans muffler, and my god did it sound incredible. From what I've read, the catalytic converter provides enough back-pressure to safely run a shorty exhaust system or even without a muffler if you were so inclined. I was curious to know whether anyone has any experience with a shorty exhaust system on their gen-6 bikes, or has any thoughts/opinions on converting a muffler designed for another bike for the VFR?

I also took a video of the start-up without the muffler :D

I put delkavic 280mm cans on mine last weekend.

Not too loud i dont think. I wouldnt like to take the baffles out though, that would be abit loud lol.

Its probably a little quieter then my old sv650s with a baffleless beowulf can on.

I love it. Can hear the v4 rumble now, rather than a sawing machine noise lol.

post-30934-0-57595600-1416598193.jpg

Do those Delkevics pass MOT?

And those are 225mm not 280mm no?

You're right, they are 225mm. Sorry, my bad!

It should do. As i say. I had a baffleless beowulf can on the sv and that flew through mots.

I asked my mot station about it and they just said they put all aftermarket exhausts down as an advisory, regardless of noise, unless its stupidly loud.

In the mot rules, noise isnt measured, its just down to the testers opinion.

Edit: its not really that loud anyway. Probably about the same as my dads r1200gs adventure with a standard can on, id say. Maybe a little louder but not much.

I've got a slash cut Jardine that I put a baffle in if you are interested?

I have a 5th gen with delkevic catless headers, so it's too loud for me. It exits just behind the rearset. Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.

Because it weighs next to nothing, post from Aus should be fairly cheap.

I have a 5th gen with delkevic catless headers, so it's too loud for me. It exits just behind the rearset. Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.

Because it weighs next to nothing, post from Aus should be fairly cheap.[/quote

Will that fit a 6th gen though?

I've been thinking of trying something like that (not sans muffler, but using a non-vfr exhaust on my 1200) to the best of my knowledge if you can make the midpipe to go from the cat to your shorty exhaust (or know someone who can), there's no limit to what you could use.

I've been thinking of trying something like that (not sans muffler, but using a non-vfr exhaust on my 1200) to the best of my knowledge if you can make the midpipe to go from the cat to your shorty exhaust (or know someone who can), there's no limit to what you could use.

I dno about over there, but in england theres no emissions test on bikes. So you can do whatever you want with the exhausts.

gotta go carbon fibre. It loves a V4. the can below isnt a shorty, but is very narrow so the volume is prolly the same.

968952_10201235825797431_461997358_n.jpg

Carbon fibre seems to absorb the hi pitch badness and give out low pitched goodness

Don't the 5th and 6th gen have the same headers, except for the 6th becoming the twin under seat?

I have no idea what the pipe is actually for, but I had it modified to fit on the OEM 5th gen headers.

Don't the 5th and 6th gen have the same headers, except for the 6th becoming the twin under seat?

I have no idea what the pipe is actually for, but I had it modified to fit on the OEM 5th gen headers.

You could well be right mate. I didnt know that :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thank you for the excellent ideas. I've been looking at the gp style exhausts for the 600cc sport bikes. They're lightweight, look good, and don't require additional support brackets coming off the rear foot peg.

The only thing would be an adapter if the pipe wasn't the same size. Something tells me it'll come down to a bit of fab work for an adapter collar.

I've still got the jardine gp1. Its a bit like this one, but i stole this pic from the internet. I have had a link pipe made so it fits my 5th gen, and i have added a (removable) baffle to it. $100 Aus posted, which is about $85US. PM me if you're interested, and i'l send you actual pics/measurements.

eee3c75a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

DanMoto 919 cans retrofitted onto my '03, not loud but a beautiful V4 growl:

20141213_132318_zps46eff1cf.jpg

20141213_132425_zps76c157b3.jpg

Sound of similar setup:

That is one sweet looking VFR!

Rc4six...is thats a RC30 wheel? Where did ya find that beaut?

It's a modified gen 3 wheel . . . the lug holes welded closed then re-powdercoated. The spindle was modified with RC30 hardware. I considered getting an HRC RC30 race wheel which is 17x6 but is unobtainium. The OEM RC30 wheel is available new but is 18".

Looks great. ..great job

Thanks! The bike gets attention wherever it goes, especially to those who notice the details as the gen 3 8-spoke rear wheel with its RC center-lock, Black Bird rear shock with lift links, the RC51 fork/wheel conversion, 1000RR rotors/front fender, Brembo 4-pad calipers, and the 919 DanMoto cans . . . etc. etc.

• Member Contributer

DanMoto 919 cans retrofitted onto my '03, not loud but a beautiful V4 growl:

20141213_132318_zps46eff1cf.jpg

20141213_132425_zps76c157b3.jpg

Sound of similar setup:

rc4six, where did you find the RC46 decal?

Archived