Chain Tools In Greater La. Ca?

PACIFICMAN

Hello all, I live in Agoura Hills, just outside of LA. I am going to change out my chain and sprockets. I am hoping someone in the Greater LA area has the chain breaker and rivet tool that I can borrow. I can come to your place and do the work or gather the tools and return them. I am in no real hurry to do the change, I just discovered a few "red" links, however the chain has 25,000-ish mile on so... Please let me know.

David Riebel, PACIFICMAN

805-279-5770

riebelnet@aol.com

• Member Contributer

I recently changed my chain and rather than buy a quality chain tool that maybe would be used once or twice I found this site that rents Ducati tools. Most are Ducati specific but they do rent the RK Chain Tool (know as the best chain tool made) and a laser chain alignment tool which ensures that the chain is properly aligned for $29.95 USD that includes shipping to and from. They will charge an additional $100.00 deposit that is refunded and you have a full thirty days to return it. Excellent instructions are included. That tool new is about $120.00. The change was a breeze and I spent more time cleaning out the chain lube gunk around the front sprocket than anything else. P.S. If you grind off the old pin heads they come out loke a breeze. Link is below.

http://www.ducatitoolrental.com/Tool...ml#Chain_Kit_1

• Member Contributer

I have a chain tool and a garage to do the work in, maybe wait until you need tires and then come down and we do the whole kit and kaboodle, as I also have a tire changer too. In all seriousness, you're welcome to come on down and do the work here or pick up the chain tool...Or, maybe I can ride up early to your place with the chain tool, we change the chain and rockets and then hit the roads in Malibu with a celebratory ride! For the latter, do you have the other tools needed to do the chain/sprocket swap and just need the chain tool?

Duc, Yes I have the sockets and torque wrench. I just put new tires on, but, as I mentioned I am not in a particular rush on the chain R&R. If you wanted to come up we could do the swap in garage and go riding that would be Great. However, I would be glad to come down there and do the work. Last time around I picked up the parts at Sprocket Center in HB as I was in a hurry for a track day. I could arrange that again and then to you to make the switch. Either way I Really appreciate the use of your gear. I will get into the acquiring of the parts and let you know. Please email me off group to let me know what schedule would be convenient for you. Thanks!

riebelnet@aol.com

• Member Contributer

I would advise you to load ole' Duc up with shots of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey and then do the old 8-spoke wheel swap while he is confused and drooling on himself LOL!!

BTW....I never waste time with a chain breaker tool when a good set of bolt cutters or dremel with cutoff wheel works just fine and is a lot quicker. You can also make your own chain peening tool with a c-clamp and the tip from a pipe flaring tool which can be bought for pretty cheap at any big box hardware store

Below is a pic of the pipe flare tool you want. You will remove the flare tip and attach to the clamp and will ultimately end up with what you see in the second pic. Should cost less than $20 to make.

pipe_flaringtool.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

Archived