Shipping A Ecu

motorn

I talked to Don about reflashing my ecu.The issue is customs at the border will tack on a a fee that is not cheap. Any one else had this experience sending your ecu to the U.S and back to Canada. I could drive to the border and ship it from there,but it is hours away. I'd like to get this done but I'm not paying customs a bunch of money.

• Member Contributer

If you could find a Canadian member near the border that crosses over regularly maybe ship it there and have them send it.

• Member Contributer

Have you checked if Canadian Customs have an "export/re-import" facility/process?

In NL, one can write to customs/Tax and obtain a document if you are sending goods abroad for repair/modification.

They will then review it and let you know if you have to pay full/partial/no import tax on the export and subsequent re-import.

Then you can decide if you want to go ahead with it or not.

• Member Contributer

To Dutchy's point - I thought NAFTA did away with the duties and customs fees between Can / US / Mexico. I must not understand it completely.

• Member Contributer

Assuming the rest of the world uses a similar customs setup to the UK, then your need to request a Carnet (http://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet) allows temporary export & return to country of origin. I used to have to get these to take laptops & expensive tools to our European offices.

• Member Contributer

Interested in a better way as well. When I sent my existing OEM seat from Toronto to Sargent in Florida to get it recovered I had to pay customs fee of over $100. Customs treated the seat as if I had bought it new from Sargent and not as a repair or upgrade that had gone back and forth. Their response to me was basically tough luck. I think the same will happen when I send the ECU.

My ECU shipped with fedex from Belgium and back, extra cost for me was price for flash(what doesnt count VAT) +21% (vat)

so i found it war reasonable

do have to mention i had to make some calls to fedex with proof my sending was well documented ...so keep all docs close!!! be shure to ad on the shipping doc (not the same as the doc from fedex) that it is about an REPAIR!!!

Archived